Winter (semi)-Slick that's not too tight?

magicrichard
magicrichard Posts: 69
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

I've been using a Schwalbe CX Comp 26 x 2.0 Wire tyre on the rear of my MTB for my commute and it's great, apart from one thing - it's an absolute sod to get on and off as it's so tight around the rim.

Without going back to my Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s (which I can get on and off with my bare hands) are there any other semi-slick out there that would be easier to change than my Schwalbe?

I currently have to use three tyre levers and it's only a matter of time before I snap one. The cold months are coming too, and trying to repair punctures in the cold is miserable enough as it is!

Any suggestions on tyres, or features to look out for on tyres that would make it obvious which ones the tight ones are going to be before I buy?

Thanks,

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    wire beads are usually a pain to put on. Most tyres with folding beads are easier.
  • Thanks, that makes sense - I think the problem must have been that i was looking at tyres that were cheaper - and funnily enough they are all wire tyres. I will up my budget a little!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    yeah in my opinion wire beaded tyres are a false economy. They weight a lot more and are a total bugger to fit. Always go for folding bead if you can.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'm using a couple of Schwalbe City Jet 1.5 tyres at the moment and they were a massive pain in the arse to get on, so much so that I was convinced they weren't 26". Don't get them if you want something that's easy to get on and off...
    FCN 2 to 8