Worn Wheel Rim - Grinding Front Brake

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited November 2010 in The workshop
5143826905_1e3451a7fc_z.jpg

Looks bad, ~5mm wide roughened groove down the middle of the rim, I'm guessing a stone/glass/metal fragment got lodged between the brake pad and wheel. It makes a grinding sound when I brake or steer into it.

Is there a way of repairing the rim or is it time for a new one?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why would it make a noise when steering? sounds like either the debris is still there or the bearings have a lot of play in them!

No way to repair as such, but I'd just fit a new pad and get on with it (after checking for bearing play!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    There's a bit of bearing play. I can't see/feel the debris on the pad but it is pretty worn.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have the pads worn out and you're grinding metal on metal?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Initialised
    I can't see any metal on the surface of the pads and they aren't past the wear marks. The groove goes al the way round the rim and there are little bits that look like they are sticking out.

New pads turned up today and I have a wheel on order. Eventually the only original part on the bike will be the frame.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Don't see why the rim could not be used - i suppose it will smooth out after a bit (depending on the severity of the roughness and sticky-outy things). If the bearings are worn a new wheels is the best bet with non-serviceable hubs.