Advice needed on Titanium framed bikes

milleman
milleman Posts: 181
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Want a good quality road bike for long(ish)rides out with a group of mates.

Due to a back problem I just cannot manage a bike with too much of a leant-forward posture, tried a Specialzed Roubaix for 300 miles earlier this year but just couldn't put up with the position.

Becoming increasingly tempted by either a Sabbath Silk Route Alp, one of the Enigma range or a Planet X Sportive due to what I read about the smooth riding properties of Titanium.

Ride a Specialized Tricross at the moment-like the comfy position and the ride quality afforded by the 28c tyres but it is a heavy bike-I am looking for something lighter but just as comfy.

I know I need to try some but am just wondering if anyone has any advice if they have faced a similiar quandry

Thanks

Comments

• clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Enigma are really good, you should call them, tell them your issue and they will sort you a bike with the right geometry for you and your back. They really are incredibly helpful.
    Can't recommend them highly enough, I know I'm biased because I have one but I think they make the best looking frames of the makes you have mentioned.[/img]
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Enigma are really good, you should call them, tell them your issue and they will sort you a bike with the right geometry for you and your back. They really are incredibly helpful.
    Can't recommend them highly enough, I know I'm biased because I have one but I think they make the best looking frames of the makes you have mentioned.[/img]
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    If you can go and vist Sabbath, they will sort you out.

Their Silk Road is a long sold, best selling sportive frame. Some of the new ones would suit too.

Call and talk, then get fitted right. The last bit is just as important. Ask for Greg.

Seriously, whichever make you choose, please don't ask here. Just pick up the phone and go straight to the guys that own the business - they will nail it for you.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +1 for enigma, great people ...
  • Silk Road Alp you say? Why not check out todays Cycling Weekly review of the Alp? 9/10 and 'one of the best bikes i've ridden' - and thats with CW getting the price wrong by £500 too much for the Rival equipped one...

Seriously, fit / use advice we're always happy to offer an opinion.

Greg
  • solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    I wanted the same thing a few months ago so bought a VN Mistral built with full 105 for £1400 from fat birds. Also because of a slight issue with the order got the titanium stem and seatpost thrown in for £50!.

The bike is smooth, comfortable and light - just needs a wheel upgrade.
  • Solboy- how is the Van Nicholas? Does it take 'guards? Considering going to Fatbirds for either that or a Sabbath September.
  • solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    The Mistral is a very nice bike and i could see no point paying the extra few hundred pounds for the Euros. The Mistral does not take guards but i didnt worry about this as if i need them i will just get some crud catchers at some point plus i have my Stumpjumper for rainy days.

I ordered one of the Focus TR bikes before ordering the Mistral and just didnt fall for the who carbon fibre bike thing. I have wanted a VN for a few years and so when Fat Birds dropped the basic price i decided to go for it. The bike really does ride like silk - it is that noticable compared to my old Allez Alu frame. The sportive riding position is comfortable and the reach is reletivley short (56cm Frame and i am 5ft 11), Only slight issue is i have noticed a fair bit of toe overlap.

Fat Birds are ok but comms are poor. I ordered the bike over the phone as i wanted to spec the bike to my requirements i.e. groupset, cassette, tyres etc. At no point did i get an acknowledgement of my order until i asked for it. The bike was two weeks late but i expected this due to the fact that it was coming from holland and other VN dealers stated lead in times for the standard bike of several weeks. The bike was collected by me (6 hour round trip!) i collected as i wanted to take advantage of the Fat Birds bike fit. This was a let down - it took 15 minutes and was basic to say the least. The bike was not built to my spec (chainset, tyres and calipers) some of the components we changed there and then but some of the other parts were not available so i had two choices - do another 6 hour round trip the following weekend or accept their compensation offer of the titanium seatpost and stem. Overall i would recommend Fat Birds but make sure you get written confirmation of your order and spec and always speak to John as he is the boss and knows whats what.