You put your left leg in...

Dav3m
Dav3m Posts: 84
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been commuting for about a year in London, I use SPD-SL road cleats. I've recently changed my route to include a right turn from Vauxhall Bridge road onto Grosvenor road. For those that know it, this is three lanes, one to turn left, one for straight ahead and one for right.

On the right hand side there is a raised pavement ledge - ideal for putting a foot on while waiting at the red lights.

My problem? I'm so engrained in unclipping my left foot, and starting my bike with my right, I now can't do the reverse!

Anyone else suffer from the same problem? Is it like swimming where really I should learn to breathe both sides?

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Dav3m wrote:
    Is it like swimming where really I should learn to breathe both sides?
    It is worth while learning to unclip either side as you never know when you may have to make an emergency stop and which foot you will need to twist out. It is also worth learning to unclip at any point on your pedal stroke - instead of just at the lowest point for example. Unclipping both sides would obviously also help you with your right hand ledge.
    Steve C
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Yes. I always unclip my left and now struggle to unclip my right when my left foot isn't unclipped and on the ground.

I really need to start practising unclipping my right :?
  • It is better for your knees to unclip at the top of you pedal stroke, I had to start unclipping with my right when I had a bad left knee and now I try alternate at every stop.
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I am really left-footed when unclipping, virtually fall over when unclipping with the right. It means my road bike pedals (speedplay) are also now much harder to use, the left hand one has worn in nicely.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    langster wrote:
    It is better for your knees to unclip at the top of you pedal stroke
    This might depend on the individual, I actually find it easier personally to unclip with the pedal at the three o'clock position (but I have very wonky knees so maybe that is why...). I still think it is valid to learn to unclip in all positions with both legs because you never know when you'll need to.

One other reason for having an ability to unclip with the right foot is for when you have a clipless moment. If you fail to unclip on the right hand side then (in the UK at least) you'll potentially fall in front of traffic. Hopefully this will never happen to any of us, but it is better to safe than sorry.
    Steve C
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    See I thought this was going to be a rant about not unclipping your right foot (which I always do). But taking into consideration your problem I'll make an attempt to alternate in future.

Thanks!
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Only ever unclip my left, but i rarely use pavement ledges unless i am dismounting.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm an ambidextrous unclipper. Its about the only thing I'm ambidextrous with.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!