Riding alone

Matt_
Matt_ Posts: 82
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Do many of you ride alone at night? I haven't done so far but the lads I usually go with on a Thursday night have been wimps the past couple of weeks and not wanted to go out. The excuse this week is because it's going to be raining?! Not often it doesn't rain in the Lakes so they won't be getting much done this winter if they don't like riding in the rain.

So thinking of going on my own tomorrow night although I'm wondering if it's a good idea in case I have a crash or have a mechanical. I know I won't have the same kind of motivation either :lol: So frustrating having not ridden for 2 weeks now. Drives me mad not going on my bike.
Current Bikes:
2010 Trek Fuel EX8
2009 Specialized Allez Sport
2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    in the day? yes... all the time... But I wouldn't Night Ride on my own.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I have and do at night

But people say I'm stupid in general :lol:
  • No issue with going out on my own.

Someone knows when i'll be back and what vague route i'm going, so the same precautions as with day riding on your own. Probably easier to see you in the dark with bonkers lights.

Obviously take more than enough spare batteries/backup lights.
  • Been out tonight on my own actually.

Don't see how it's any different to riding on my own during the day to be honest.

I'd not attempt anything stupid, and take spares.
  • It's why I bought a road bike.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yeah go out on the road a lot, but rarely off road.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Matt_ wrote:
    Do many of you ride alone at night?
    Couple of times a week since 1998. Day/night it makes no difference once you get used to it.

There's nothing to be scared of. The worst thing that could happen is that I meet some big, heavy lunatic on a 140mm trail bike with a thermonuclear set of lights coming the other way :wink:
  • .blitz wrote:
    Matt_ wrote:
    Couple of times a week since 1998. Day/night it makes no difference once you get used to it.

There's nothing to be scared of. The worst thing that could happen is that I meet some big, heavy lunatic on a 140mm trail bike with a thermonuclear set of lights coming the other way :wink:

O'Hai! :D
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    been doing my local off road route by my self for a month or 2 now,scares the shi7 out of me when you stop and think about it when your in the deap dark woods.
    still waiting for some mates to get there ar5e's into gear an get some lights to do cannock at night,
    wouldnt mind doing some where like ladybower at night.
  • .blitz
    .blitz wrote:
    Matt_ wrote:

O'Hai! :D
    :)
  • Im going to cannock tonight, done it in the dusk but will be first ride in the black. Not too fussed about being on my own, will take time and care.

To be honest more worried about car being broken into in the car park!!
  • Im going to cannock tonight, done it in the dusk but will be first ride in the black. Not too fussed about being on my own, will take time and care.

To be honest more worried about car being broken into in the car park!!

See you there. I'll be the one carrying the rohypnol and axe lurking in the shadows. I'll see you, but you'll not see me.
  • .blitz
    Watch out for the stags as well as Cat. They are getting prickly this time of year and will have a pop at anything.

All this talk of solo night riding is getting me all fired up *starts charging batteries*
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    The thing is, I'm 15 and live in a City. And my local woods are a known Dogging and drug-ie spot. Personally I just wouldn't feel safe (and my parents would never let me) riding on my own at night.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'm not sure whether i would or not. i ride on the road/cycle paths at night. there's a plan for some of us to do cwmcarn at night but they'll be 4 or 5 of us.

don't think i'd do it on my own. :?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    bamba wrote:
    wouldnt mind doing some where like ladybower at night.
    We do it fairly regularly through the winter,we'll be doing out first outing in a couple of weeks,I'll let you know when 8)
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    It is quite funny when you "meet" a dog-walker or similar in the woods at night when there's a group of you using thermonuclear lighting. On our ride last week we came across a senior citizen literally cowering behind a tree as we approached. I stopped and asked him if he was ok. In a quavering voice he said "I couldn't work out what was coming, those lights are terrifyingly bright..." He clearly thought he was about to become an alien abductee and be introduced to Tom Cruise....

If I ride the right distance behind someone, I can project a 100ft+ high perfectly delineated shadow bike rider onto the leaf canopy. I must try to get a picture of this!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    cheers, ibbo
    just give us plenty of notice
  • .blitz
    IanTrcp wrote:
    If I ride the right distance behind someone, I can project a 100ft+ high perfectly delineated shadow bike rider onto the leaf canopy.
    ...and the way the shadows of the ferns look like claws reaching out onto the trail, or some kind of hideous goblin just waiting to pounce muhuwahahaha...

Up until a few years ago there used to be an elderly woman walking round Fairoaks Pool on the Chase on her own at night. No dogs, no torch, nothing just a shock of white hair and always the same red coat...

Muhuwahaha again :twisted: