Fallen and foolish

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
It had to happen, I read about it here, people falling off their bikes but standing still or rather just turning right, is it because of my age ?

One of those junctions where you have just come up a hill and turn to go down another so no matter where I put my right foot it was never going to be on the ground, well until it was under my Saracen.

Simply turning right to go down a hill I lost it.

I was doing about 1mph and hadn't gone a yard, a white van man kindly asked if I am ok, one of the benefits I guess of being fifty is people showed a little concern, "Hurt" I replied, "just my b%**&£ pride, thank you".

So I ask you, the readers, is it me....

I have a Saracen Mantra with Rock Shox and a few more mods, but when I adjust the seat so I pedal in comfort I am always stretching to reach the ground when I stop so I have to lean a little, but when I set the seat and can reach the ground my knees are bent even when the peddle is at the lowest travel, am I an odd shape.
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• Nope just normal. Just move your bum off the seat so you can reach the floor.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • I know that may sound daft but I am sure you are right, as a "shopper cyclist" to and fro from town I have "sat" on the saddle and hoped to reach the floor, I believe you are right.

DO people who are proper cyclists like you actually "get off the saddle" when you stop and pull away "before" sitting back down.

Sorry to sound a complete fool.

• I know that may sound daft but I am sure you are right, as a "shopper cyclist" to and fro from town I have "sat" on the saddle and hoped to reach the floor, I believe you are right.

DO people who are proper cyclists like you actually "get off the saddle" when you stop and pull away "before" sitting back down.

Sorry to sound a complete fool.

I don't know about being a proper cyclist but I'm an old one. Occasionally I'll use a railing, lampost or put my foot on the kerb to stay sitting. Most of the time I end up standing on one leg because my feet won't reach the ground when in the saddle.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    if your feet can reach the ground whilst in the saddle, your saddle would be too low when you pedal (note the spelling, sorry to be a pedant*).

Just stand with one (or both) foot (feet) on the ground until its time to move off.

*I'm not really sorry at all.
    Break instead of brake bugs me as well.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DO people who are proper cyclists like you actually "get off the saddle" when you stop and pull away "before" sitting back down.

Oh yes! Always slide forward off the nose of the saddle when you come to a halt, so that you can touch the ground.

On the upside, if you pull away not on the saddle, one of the finer things you can you is perfect the movement of planting your rear end on the saddle without freewheeling as you do so. This will give you an instant bikelength advantage over anyone who has not mastered the movement during the all important pullaway/jockey for position at the traffic light Grand Prix start...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    jejv wrote:
    See also @wheeled_warrior's avatar ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Thank you all, I have a "grate" deel to lern..........

Sorry

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    It's slightly down to the bike. On my Marin mtb I can't easily get a foot down with my arse on the saddle. But on my Cannondale road bike the bottom bracket is quite low and I can easily get a foot down whilst seated.

If you have rear suspension there are ways to adjust it to make the bike sit lower. At the extreme you could cut the spring down a whole or part turn and screw the adjustor in to compensate.

Also, solid sole cycling shoes help a little as the toe of your foot isn't bending.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Many thanks for all the advice.

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I know that may sound daft but I am sure you are right, as a "shopper cyclist" to and fro from town I have "sat" on the saddle and hoped to reach the floor, I believe you are right.

DO people who are proper cyclists like you actually "get off the saddle" when you stop and pull away "before" sitting back down...

Hi,
    I used to run a hack that I had to lean over to straddle (it had a 25" frame & 27" wheels). It's normal to get off the saddle when stopped, though you can lean the bike over to achieve the same result (which is what I did on the BigBlueBike, even off the saddle, to clear the crossbar/top-tube).
    I guess it's practice. I don't think of myself as a proper cyclist (I don't have a flash bike or wear fancy-dress to ride) but I've been doing it for a long while now, and I guess you just get better at it, picking up little habits, techniques or tricks that make it easier, safer, quicker etc. without really noticing that you're doing so. If I want to pull away hard from the lights (eg to keep up with traffic), then I'll stand on the pedals and crank hard to build speed before I sit. I do this partly to make it clear to anyone behind me that I'm getting a move on, and won't be disappearing in their mirrors anytime soon.

You are clearly a lot more risk-averse than I am, though. Some of that may be down to familiarity/experience/foolishness on my part but much must be difference in outlook & personality. You need to allow for your own capabilities so what works for one won't work for all. For example, generally I feel safer if I keep up a good clip and integrate with the traffic. That simply doesn't work for people who lack the speed and confidence to mix it up with cars at 20mph+. I don't cover myself in lights & reflective gear- I'm not a victim of cars, nor am I a hazard to be avoided. I'm traffic and I'm here in this lane travelling at the same speed as everyone else. If you're here too, you need to make room and you don't get to pretend I'm not present.

Cheers,
    W.
  • I'm traffic and I'm here in this lane travelling at the same speed as everyone else.

Thank you I like many novices tend to feel that because (as I was once told loudly by a driver) I don't pay road tax I have fewer rights on the road.

No but I do on my Grand Scenic.

Perhaps there should be a Bike tax to make all drivers happy ?

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'm traffic and I'm here in this lane travelling at the same speed as everyone else.

Thank you I like many novices tend to feel that because (as I was once told loudly by a driver) I don't pay road tax I have fewer rights on the road.

No but I do on my Grand Scenic.

Perhaps there should be a Bike tax to make all drivers happy ?

As I said in a different thread. Roads are for people to use. You can use them on foot, on a bike, horse, cart or whatever.

Driving a car on them, however, is a privilige, not a right. You need to be an adult, to take a test and to hold a license (which can be revoked). You also need to ensure your car is roadworthy (new or mandatory test), pay a special tax and carry third party insurance (or demonstrate you don't need to).

It should be pretty clear from that who has a right to use a road and who's there on sufference... is it any wonder some cyclists seem a bit self-righteous?

Cheers,
    W.