Replacement Wheels

mwooldridge
mwooldridge Posts: 21
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
So, I have worn out the rims on my Mavic Circuits and need a new set of wheels. I tend to do between 30-40 miles commute a day with the odd training ride / sportive thrown in. Bike is a Van Nicholas Amazon.

The circuits have been much better than I expected considering my commute is on some pretty poorly maintained roads. Even so I would of thought a set of wheels should last longer than 3 years.

So a little advice here. I could get a similar specification of wheels or I could make up some of my own that I can more easily change out the rims on. What do you think? Ultimately over the course of the next 10+ years am I going to save money replacing just the rim on a hand built wheel compared with replacing a factory built set of wheels (hub and rim)?

What are my alternatives, either:
  • What is a good factory built wheels set (shimano - 10 speed cassette) for my duty?
  • How do the following rims and hubs look for a custom build?
    • Hubs: Phil Wood Touring / Chris King Cross Classic / Hope Pro3
    • Rims: Mavic A 719 / DT Swiss TK540
Any input on this would be much appreciated; not sure if the above hubs and rims are a little too bomb proof for me or not.

Comments

• Well, had a chat with a wheel builder friend of mine (The Bikery for those of you also in the far North), and based on my riding pattern we agreed the A-719 where just a little too much and talked instead about using some Mavic Open Pro rims on Hope Pro3 hubs (these are going to be half the price of either Phil Wood or Chris King hubs which work out about the same).

So question is has anyone got these rims, if so how do they fare? I ride mostly on roads which up here in far north are in pretty poor shape, I do the odd pavement and have on occasion done a grassed slightly rocky footpath. Are these hubs going to cut it? Say this on the basis that the Easton Circuits I have at the moment have been great and held up to everything that I have thrown at them.
  • I have been using wheels built using open pros on my bike for the last 2 years or so and they are a pretty good rim for the money. I do about 175 miles a week including daily commute, and cycle all year round. The only thing I wish they had is some kind of wear indicator.

Another alternative rim to consider is the Ambrosio Excellight - a little more money than the open pro's but lighter and very good quality.

I think you are right not to skimp on the hubs. I have just had a second budget rear hub fail on me within 12 months (first was an ambrosio zenith, second one a Miche Racing).

If you use shimano rear cassettes my advice would be to try and avoid rear hubs with alloy cassette carriers - in my experience the shimano cassettes tend to eat these in a short space of time. Try for a steel or titanium cassette carrier.

Have you considered Royce hubs? Easily on a par with Phil Wood / Chris King quality wise, UK made and you can specify hole drillings when you order. Rear is about 180GBP delivered, and front about 120 GBP for the lightweight version.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've used Open Pros (using a rear Pro and front Sport) at the moment, and I have mixed views. I do a similar mileage to CTC above and I've had Ambrosio Excellight too, as well as Mavic CXP33s. I've used the CXPs for cross racing, too.

I find Open Sports too flexy, but prefer CXP33s to Open Pros and the Excellights over the CXPs. I tend to go for a 32h option.

In terms of wear, ceramic rims could be an option.

+1 for good hubs and freehub bodies: I've eaten through the grooves on two freehubs in the last year, although I think it helps to have a good cassette which is fits more snugly in the grooves.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Just to add, I ordered a Royce Venus rear hub day before yesterday over the phone and it turned up today. It is an extremely well made piece of kit, and for the money hard to beat.

No connection other than a satisfied customer :-)

http://www.genisysconsulting.co.uk/royce-uk/
  • Thanks for the input; gives me a few more things to consider. I am having problems getting on the Royce website atm; though I am away so could be blocked where I am. Will try when I get home at the weekend.
  • Finally got a reply back from Easton on my wheels; yes the small groove on the circuits is a wear indicator. For other rims (Easton), if this groove is not present then there should be a small recess hole in the brake track. There you have it; right from the horses mouth.