Down the shops

Eyon
Eyon Posts: 623
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Reading the post about police ratings got me thinking. I came to work today on my bike, and although at work i can keep it indoors, when it came to lunch, i struggled to think how i was going to cycle to the shops without it being stolen.

So, when you want to go to the local Co-Op like i did today, how do you leave your bike unattended for 5 minutes or so? OK, i could grab a decent D lock, but what if there is nothing to lock it to? I cant take the bike around the shop and sure as hell if i leave it unattended im going to have to find another £1800 to get a new Anthem.

Simple answer, dont take the bike shopping, but do i want to get in the car for 1/2 a mile to grab lunch? No, id like to cycle.

So what do you all do?

Comments

• psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    i often take the bike inside and leave it just inside the door, not in the way of customers.
    so i can see it at all times.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Eyon wrote:
    ...but do i want to get in the car for 1/2 a mile to grab lunch?
    1/2 a mile :shock:

Not possible to walk it?
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    I'm being theoretical. Call it X distance, just going to shops with a bike.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Having been on the receiving end of unwanted attention from thieving pikey scum types on more than one occasion, I am paranoid about security and I don't leave my bike anywhere.

A sad indictment of modern society but there you go.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    This is surely where the N+1 rule kicks in.

Get a new hack bike for going the shops on. There is always somewhere to lock it to, such as a lampost, bench etc. If it gets nicked, its annoying, but at least it wasn't your pride and joy!
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    + 1 for walk. Why get there and back quickly at lunch time. Draw it out...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +2 for walk, if it's too far to walk, then sod it, I'll drive! Not risking my bike getting nicked.

Rather depends on the shop though, there's often nice bikes parked outside our local Co-Op in the middle of a sleepy Sussex village, there was a very nice Cervelo there the other day, and to be honest if I was passing and wanted a bottle of water or something I'd pop in. Relocate the same shop to a town centre and there's not a chance in hell!
  • lfcquin wrote:
    This is surely where the N+1 rule kicks in.

Get a new hack bike for going the shops on. There is always somewhere to lock it to, such as a lampost, bench etc. If it gets nicked, its annoying, but at least it wasn't your pride and joy!
    +12 for a hack ,it won't bother you as much if it gets nicked and 2nd it doesn't look as attractive to thieves. Something without discs and rear suspension or a rigid will be best.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    either walk or just take it in and wheel it round with you...I have done that before.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Old Rockhopper cost me £34 on Ebay, complete with DMR V8 pedals. Swopped the pedals onto my better bike. Use a crappy £5 lock. Looks like shit, rides nicely, job done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The bike that's expensive just goes on trails, that's it. No commuting, no shops, no being left anywhere.

I'd just buy something uber cheap off ebay or try freecyle and see if anyone's chucking out an old rusty bike if you want to go to the shops. I doubt you'd even need to lock it up, though someone might pinch the wheels for a laugh.

And yeah, +1 walking. It's 30 min walk for me into town and probably 10 on the bike, but the bike is infinitely more hassle and I probably get more exercise by the longer walk.

Though I'm too lazy these days to go out the house for much other than the weekend warrior ride and work. Shopping is done on the Internet :D
  • When not at home, the farthest either of my nicest bikes go are about 3 feet away from my computer chair in my room. Get a cheapo bike to use as a commuter or city bike. I just used a bike that I didn't really care about that much anymore, and am not bothered if it's nicked.

Also living in Austria helps. I can leave my bike in the center of town with a cheap cable lock and have a buffet lunch and come back to it when i'm done. It's so safe, even 4 year olds ride the nicest bikes possible for them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I fI have to nip to tescos to buy a sandwich or something, and I have my bike with me, I ride the bike round tescos, or, if I'm accosted by some retarded security mong, I'll get off and push it around instead.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    £60 Singlespeed from Decathlon, it's orange and singlespeed so nobody would want to nick it. Plus if any hippies did nick it, its only £60 instead of your main bike.
  • Um... Prepare your lunch the night before, or in the morning and bring it to work with you!

Save some money and stress :lol: