Strange noise (originally posted in General)

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Since General is quieter than a graveyard, I've decided to repost this in here.

I've got a Mavic Aksium front wheel and it has started making a strange ticking noise. It sounds like something is touching one of the spokes (possibly on the right hand side). The noise isn't constantly there, but every few minutes or so it will make the ticking noise for a few seconds (one tick for each wheel revolution) and then silence again.

There is nothing obvious touching the wheel/spokes and I even took the speedo sensor off of the fork and wheel magnet off the spoke just to make sure.

Any idea what could be causing it? The wheel has done about 5000 miles and is as true as the day I got it (which I'm quite impressed with).
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    problem is, whenever you think you've located the source of a ticking noise, you're generally wrong. a creak i thought was in my pedal, turned out to be from my seatpost. my freewheel turned out to be my cranks. tighten and lube everything and hopefully it goes away...
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Might be a death watch beetle best get your affairs in order chap. :(
    Hat + Beard
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Shirley this should have posted in workshop *runs away laughing*

*runs back* (You've probably checked but) loose spoke? Bit of grit in the slot where the spoke meets the hub? Any cracks in eyelets etc?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Could be a bit of grime in your nipples or the spoke ends - it can get lodged there when riding in the wet.

Try a spot of GT85 on your nipples* and at the spoke ends.
    Also, check the rims for hairline cracks.
    That grove on the braking surface is a wear indicator - is there much of it left?

*Paging Greg T
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    Try a spot of GT85 on your nipples* and at the spoke ends.
    Also, check the rims for hairline cracks.
    *Paging Greg T

at least you didn't add to lube his rim...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • It sounds like you've got a loose spoke end/nipple. I used to have the same problem with my old Fulcrum Racing 1s - the ticking would drive me nucking futs.

Get them tightened and then apply some locktite.
    The Greg

"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he 'rubbed' you. And rubbin', son, is racin'!"

FCN 4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Confession time.

When I was at school a boy from another class (who I found quite annoying) asked me how to stop his brakes squeaking. I told him to put some WD40 on his brake blocks and go away.

I didn't expect him to really do it, I mean, only an idiot would lube his braking surfaces. He did and had an accident because he couldn't stop in time.

I felt a bit guilty about that.

Yeah, I've checked the spokes are all tensioned properly and the wear indicator is still pretty deep, I'll check for rim cracks.
    The wheels (and bike generally) need a clean so, I'll give it all a good clean, GT85 my nipples (not lube my rim) and see how it goes.

JG, you are right, it should have gone into workshop really, but the thought never even crossed my mind. I guess thats because I rarely don't know how to fix a problem on my bike so don't ever go in there.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have the same wheels, the develop pings and ticks over time, but as has been said by the great and wise very very old Attica, grease your nipples good - I might add it helps if your own legs have been freshly plucked beforehand :roll:

PS. You have removed and greased your QR levers and springs haven't you ...?

while you're at it check the bearings, do they run freely with no grinding?

Anyone else getting turned on by all this talk of nipples, grinding and Attica?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Just had a horrible image of someone applying an angle grinder to my nipples

Ouch!

...and eww!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"