Commuting General is quieter than a graveyard

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Kinda makes me wonder why the Mods split Commuting into two.

OTOH, there do seem to be loads of newbies in Chat.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Is it quieter than a nuns fart?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Never heard a Nun fart, so maybe General is a bit louder than that.

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Never heard a Nun fart.

They are very tricksy about it.....

You need to be on your guard to catch one... One trick is to sneak up behind them and give them a quick tickle - they may be temporarily discombobulated and let one pop out.

Give it a try next time you see one.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    Greg T wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Never heard a Nun fart.

You need to be on your guard to catch one... One trick is to sneak up behind them and give them a quick tickle - they may be temporarily discombobulated and let one pop out.

Isn't that like poaching trout? Allow them to become used to you in the environment - then tickle? :shock:
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    I shall try and kick it off, my freind had three punctures yesterday on the way home from work. I had a prior apppointment so had to leave him behind :(
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It's fine to tickle nuns, but you mustn't get into the habit.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    SimonAH wrote:

FFS! :lol::lol::lol:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    There's barely a wimple
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • SimonAH wrote:

Brilliant! My best laugh of the day! :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    you've not met the right nuns

nun-bong.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Never heard a Nun fart.

Isn't that like poaching trout? Allow them to become used to you in the environment - then tickle? :shock:

It's called guddling :)

and + 5 trillion for Simons habit joke :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • It's because all the cool kids are in Chat.
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    This humour's a little conventional for my liking...
  • Clever Pun
    Zachariah wrote:
    It's because all the cool kids are in Chat.

but that's the reason there was a split
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    commuting chat has maybe a bit of a high signal to noise ratio

but commuting general is dull dull dull

bikeradar/ cycling plus on the web has always had a habit of messing up the online communities. Because they do not understand the concept. To them, the forums are cash cows to attract advertising fodder
  • I told them that would happen.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I distinctly remember some supporters of that section using the opportunity to justify its creation as a means of taking cheap shots at me and my posts.

Some would have me hung as the sole cause of their discontent with the communiting section.

Posts like:
    Well if it wasn't for people like DDD who drown out any other discussions.... blah blah moan... I'm unhappy in life was born miserable.... moan

Yep those grumble bums foolishly left Eden.

But they took their hybrids with them so that at the very least is a good thing.

I hope they continue to enjoy their wall painted grey. While a classic, yet problem DDD thread roars to and exciting 10 pages be it bikes, politics or mouse.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I told them that would happen.
    Did you post that in the General section? They probably missed it :wink:

Twas a shame that AT made a similar point to the mods a bit too forcefully and was banned. :(

@DDD I remember those grumbles of discontent, too. Some of those posters seem to have left the commuting section altogether, though. Can't please everyone all of the time...

I can count the times i've nipped into Commuting General on the fingers of one hand. It's a shame coz I used to answer some of those questions when they were in the same forum as the banter
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    While it is Commuting Dull As F*** (copyright Greg T) over there it is interesting to note that the vast majority of threads on the first page are Newbie threads. Alright, none are getting past 2 pages but still.....

Truth is, there isn't too much to discuss that is genuinely On Topic. Buy a bike, point it towards work and start pedalling. Thats about it really.

Still think the spilt was right in principle but badly executed
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • While it is Commuting Dull As F*** (copyright Greg T) over there it is interesting to note that the vast majority of threads on the first page are Newbie threads. Alright, none are getting past 2 pages but still.....

Truth is, there isn't too much to discuss that is genuinely On Topic. Buy a bike, point it towards work and start pedalling. Thats about it really.

See, I disagree... with the idea that the split was right in principle... reason being what you so rightly say in your second paragraph - most of the pertinent topics are dull as dishwater, and unless you're really a cycling stalwart (and frankly, only a few are), you're not going to hang around to endlessly tell people why buying a hybrid is not actually a good idea, only to see them buy one anyway. So you hang around for the banter, and when such topics come up you respond, mostly because you're waiting for a response to your witty riposte on the ConDem coalition.

One supports t'other.

Innit.
  • I was away for most of the summer (being ill) and only resumed after the great schism had been enacted. It took me ages to notice where everyone had gone :oops: It is all part of the "if it's not broke, break it" approach, familiar to many who watch good things get worse thanks to the application of improvements.

Good to see you all safe and well in your new home/ward/cell.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • It is all part of the "if it's not broke, break it" approach, familiar to many who watch good things get worse thanks to the application of improvements.

Brilliant! This is my new mantra.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • tailwindhome
    See, I disagree....

No one agreed with me at the time either.

Not one single poster

Nobody

Not even the "Grumblebums". They were too busy arguing with DDD.

In fact so unpopular was my suggestion that it isn't even worth repeating now.

Also I may be wrong but it seems to me that there are fewer 'cycling' related threads now.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    While it is Commuting Dull As F*** (copyright Greg T) over there it is interesting to note that the vast majority of threads on the first page are Newbie threads. Alright, none are getting past 2 pages but still.....

so kind of like a commuting nursery then?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • tailwindhome
    Clever Pun wrote:
    so kind of like a commuting nursery then?

That was the stated objective.
  • DonDaddyD
    Also I may be wrong but it seems to me that there are fewer 'cycling' related threads now.

I disagree, sure we get a lot less, What hybrid? Thinking about getting a hybrid? Road bikes scare me I may go hydrid? And the ever present, Which hybrid?

But what still remains is Police stop cyclist riding on pavement! Major accident on x road! Government to propose x cycling related law! I've had an off! Should I date a girl who doesn't ride a bike? Are girls who ride bikes better in bed? RLJ should be made legal? Helmet's are for gays and 'p0rn'?*

For me the latter is the meat of commuting discussions and dare I say, the hot topic issues. I do feel the grumblebums arrogantly cut their noses to spite their faces, amongst the banter there were always gems of advice to be found.

* An American on Star Trek Online told me if I was a proper geek I'd spell it p0rn. I suppose to make emphasis on the fact that true geeks have no concept of what it really is....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I disagree, sure we get a lot less, What hybrid? Thinking about getting a hybrid? Road bikes scare me I may go hydrid? And the ever present, Which hybrid?

But what still remains is Police stop cyclist riding on pavement! Major accident on x road! Government to propose x cycling related law! I've had an off! Should I date a girl who doesn't ride a bike? Are girls who ride bikes better in bed? RLJ should be made legal? Helmet's are for gays and 'p0rn'?*

For me the latter is the meat of commuting discussions and dare I say, the hot topic issues. I do feel the grumblebums arrogantly cut their noses to spite their faces, amongst the banter there were always gems of advice to be found.

* An American on Star Trek Online told me if I was a proper geek I'd spell it p0rn. I suppose to make emphasis on the fact that true geeks have no concept of what it really is....

And the fact that there are quite a number of "What hybrid?" and other 'beginner' threads over on Commuting General shows that there is a demand for it. Those of us who didn't get all upset about it pop over now and then and offer some advice. Sound to me like you are being a bit of a grumblebum about the split yourself.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    Don't try to reverse grumblebum me.

I see what you did there!

Next you'll be trying to flog me a hybrid!
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    I pop into General once in a while, see that its deader than a Drum and Bass rave at an old people's home and come back to Chat.

As DDD said there are the usual variants on 'What hybrid' but occassionally I can offer some useful (I think) advice.

Maybe they should rename the threads 'Newbie' and 'Old hands who have seen it all, discuss it all, have formed opinions on all things cycling related so now just chat about how scary mice are'

Maybe they should stick with 'Chat' as 'Old hands who have seen it all, discussed it all, formed opinions on all things cycling related so now just chat about how scary mice are' is a little long-winded.

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I disagree

Dunno.

It just seems to be slowing turning into Facebook.

Don't get me wrong. I like the off topic silliness. However I like it the same way I like ketchup; a dollop on the side to dip into is great but don't go drowning my chips in it.

The other possibility is that I'm visiting the forum far too frequently.....