Strange noise

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited November 2010 in The workshop
I've got a Mavic Aksium front wheel and it has started making a strange ticking noise. It sounds like something is touching one of the spokes (possibly on the right hand side). The noise isn't constantly there, but every few minutes or so it will make the ticking noise for a few seconds (one tick for each wheel revolution) and then silence again.

There is nothing obvious touching the wheel/spokes and I even took the speedo sensor off of the fork and wheel magnet off the spoke just to make sure.

Any idea what could be causing it? The wheel has done about 5000 miles and is as true as the day I got it (which I'm quite impressed with).
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Do you have one particularly lose (or is it loose?) spoke which is flexing as you ride?
    Steve C
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I noticed a ticking noise as I braked on my Ribble a while back and realised that on the braking surface of the rim there is a little bump/imperfection in the metal which makes a tick noise when I brake
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheel bearings can tick as they start to go.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.