Crazy Cyclists

ad213812
ad213812 Posts: 59
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
What the hell is wrong with the cyclists, ( and I use that word loosely) who think that it is acceptable to ride in the dark, wearing dark clothing and don't use lights??

I saw some crazy fool the other day cycling on a notoriously bad road with wooded area either side, in gloomy weather, wearing camouflage. Dumb Ass!

They make me maaaad :evil:

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    leaving work last night I saw probably 10 cyclists without lights before I saw my first one with lights which was funnily enough a paramedic with snazzy blue ones under their normal ones as they were probably on their way to help one of the idiots without them.
    Hat + Beard
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Not see this before :roll:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    hatbeard wrote:
    leaving work last night I saw probably 10 cyclists without lights .

Well you saw them didn't you, so what's the problem?

However, the fella or fellaette cycling through Dullingham the other night, I think you may have had a light on your rucksack, but it was totally obscured by your riding position. You were very hard to spot indeed since there are barely any street lights to speak of.
  • will3
    gtvlusso wrote:

That's because it's the thread with no lights on.
    Sheesh, threads with no lights at this time of year. They really make me mad.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ad213812 wrote:

Why do they make you mad?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    ad213812 wrote:

For the same reason that I wouldn't like to see cars on the road without any lights on. They're a hazard.
  • ad213812 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    ad213812 wrote:

For the same reason that I wouldn't like to see cars on the road without any lights on. They're a hazard.

Hook, line and sunk... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    That reminds me of the guy I passed on an unlit country lane this time last year. Yes, he was stupid having no lights, but I was very impressed at how he was managing to navigate along the road with no source of light when it was pitch black.
  • will3
    squired wrote:
    That reminds me of the guy I passed on an unlit country lane this time last year. Yes, he was stupid having no lights, but I was very impressed at how he was managing to navigate along the road with no source of light when it was pitch black.

What seems pitch black to you may be fine if you've not destroyed your night vision. Moonlit night speeding through the dark, nothing but the hum of your tyres and the smell of the trees.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Perhaps you should switch your lights on then ;o)
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    ad213812 wrote:
    What the hell is wrong with the cyclists, ( and I use that word loosely) who think that it is acceptable to ride in the dark, wearing dark clothing and don't use lights??

I saw some crazy fool the other day cycling on a notoriously bad road with wooded area either side, in gloomy weather, wearing camouflage. Dumb Ass!

Chill out dude. When in your car, you only need worry if you hear "aaaarrg bump bump". That's the one you didn't see.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I see about 1 in 20, at most, students in Bristol with lights riding at night.

Have tried contacting the council bike people and the Union and so far not seen anything done about it. Maybe it will take one being killed to get something going. The police are supposed to be clamping down on it but not seen any evidence yet.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    leave studos out of this; batteries are expensive
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    leave studos out of this; batteries are expensive

Quite right. Batteries or pint? Batteries or pint?

Only one winner.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Maybe if *nobody* had any lights then we'd all be forced to ride/drive really carefully and would as a result be much safer...

Think about that....
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    Maybe if *nobody* had any lights then we'd all be forced to ride/drive really carefully and would as a result be much safer...

Think about that....

And spikes to replace airbags.

And no helmets
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    sounds like you saw a group of Ninja's out for a training cycle !
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I almost got mown down by some fool on a beaten up moped yesterday. I was about to pull out when I noticed him at the last moment. His light was something like a candle in a glass box, almost entirely invisible in the melee of street lights, car lights, bike lights heading towards me. He was literally almost invisible.... Bleedin idiot.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue wrote:

Think about that....

Hmm, the last time this was tried (in WW2), Road Deaths went up to over 9,000 a year
    (more than 4 times the 2009 level.)

And that's despite petrol rationing and far fewer cars than now.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_R ... at_Britain

Mike
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    i've been doing a video series about the silly cyclists i see on my way to and from work
    a playlist can be found here
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Nightvision goggles FTW
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.