OT: People who sit in the overtaking lane @ 50

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Really do my nut!

Rarely do I drive, but with working from home this morning and a big meeting this afternoon in the office, it seemed appropriate and easier.

Anyway; I use a dual caraaige way which is unrestricted. I.e. 70mph most of the way.

The amount of f*cking bellends that sit in the overtaking lane @ 45 to 50mph is quite astonishing. I won't under take normally, unless it is getting ridiculous, but found myself just belting down the driving lane as I was so sick of being sat behind some idiot who may want to turn right at a round-a-bout 5 miles away.....said idiot actually carried on across several round-a-bouts in the overtaking lane, building a nice queue of traffic behind her.

Grrrrrrrrr.....Simple road hogging!!

And back to my bike tomorrow.....

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    They nearly wind me up as much as the folks who drive at 40 in an unrestricted area and then push up to 45 when they hit a 40 zone.

Not enough chlorine in the gene pool.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The worst - the VERY VERY worst are the ones that do the SAME damn' speed EVERYWHERE.

The speed limit is for other folks. Change in circumstance? I'm taking no notice...

Open stretch of NSL? 40.

50 limit: 40

40 limit: 40

30 limit: 40
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Really do my nut!

Rarely do I drive, but with working from home this morning and a big meeting this afternoon in the office, it seemed appropriate and easier.

Anyway; I use a dual caraaige way which is unrestricted. I.e. 70mph most of the way.

The amount of f*cking bellends that sit in the overtaking lane @ 45 to 50mph is quite astonishing. I won't under take normally, unless it is getting ridiculous, but found myself just belting down the driving lane as I was so sick of being sat behind some idiot who may want to turn right at a round-a-bout 5 miles away.....said idiot actually carried on across several round-a-bouts in the overtaking lane, building a nice queue of traffic behind her.

Grrrrrrrrr.....Simple road hogging!!

And back to my bike tomorrow.....

See? One day in a car and you're already ranting and raving like a madman.
  • The worst - the VERY VERY worst are the ones that do the SAME damn' speed EVERYWHERE.

The speed limit is for other folks. Change in circumstance? I'm taking no notice...

Open stretch of NSL? 40.

Don't forget:

Through amber lights: 40 (no braking, natch)

Round corners: 40
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My neighbour commutes 30 miles to work on an A road that's mixed single / 2+1 / dual. He sits at 50 the whole way with the cruise control on to save fuel. He's been pulled over three times by the police because of the queue he creates.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    but isn't the speed limit just that, an upper limit. You don't have to drive right on the limit, sometimes it's unsafe to do so and going under the limit is the right thing to do.

I suggest that if you're in a rush you should leave earlier - less stress for you and other road users.

Pip pip.

:)
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    iainment wrote:
    but isn't the speed limit just that, an upper limit. You don't have to drive right on the limit, sometimes it's unsafe to do so and going under the limit is the right thing to do.

I suggest that if you're in a rush you should leave earlier - less stress for you and other road users.

Pip pip.

Don't be silly.

Cheers,
    W.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    :evil: The drivers who pull onto a clear motorway and go straight for the middle lane - why? Keep left. Its the equivalent of the cyclist commuter who you've just overtaken who pulls up alongside you at the traffic lights and then wobbles left so you have to go out into the traffic to get by again. Seems its the moronic nature of some people.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The problem is that driving at 50 in a 60 limit (where most traffic does 70) single road is dangerous. Most drivers will try and overtake him, that's the sort of thing that's more likely to cause accidents than if he drove a bit quicker.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    unixnerd wrote:
    The problem is that driving at 50 in a 60 limit (where most traffic does 70) single road is dangerous. Most drivers will try and overtake him, that's the sort of thing that's more likely to cause accidents than if he drove a bit quicker.

Carefull now, you're one step away from banning cycles from the road.

(although FWIW you have a point. Towing a trailer at the legal limit of 50 on a 60 limit road does produce some interesting overtakes. You should not, however lay the blame on the person driving under the speed limit, rather at the poor standard of driving that means so many overtakes are near misses)
  • Generally speaking, these drivers need to be rear ended by a snow-plough type device, and lofted into the path of the oncoming traffic.

Other deltas and epsilons to add to the pool:

Drivers who driver v-e-r-y slowly close to the kerb, peering across the windscreen to try to read the name of the side roads they pass. Then speed up until the next side turning. Learn to indicate. Buy a map. And take a two week package holiday in Hell.

Drivers who have no idea how to take a corner. The idea is not (dimwit) to slow down so that you almost come to a halt on the apex, with the arse-end of your car sticking out into the traffic, then decide to look for a new gear, engage it, and slowly drift into the side road.

Also, anyone who decides that a queue of traffic is a bit beneath them. So it's all right to pull out, drive up the outside of the queue, then barge in close to the front. Especially well-practised at traffic lights with a straight-on lane and a right/left turn only lane. Seriously, if these people tried this whilst queueing for tickets at a train station, they'd end up being knifed. Why is it all right in a car?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

Ah - "it's a limit, not a target". Usually accompanied by a cardigan and a pipe.

Now, sometimes it *is* unsafe to drive as fast as the speed limit - for example 70 in thick fog, or 30 on ice. But by the same token, once you muddle "safety" and "speed limits" in the same sentence, you open yourself up to the attack that sometimes it is safe to drive over the speed (eg 32mph past a school at 3am on a Sunday in August).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • unixnerd wrote:

I realise he's not driving a lorry/HGV, but the speed limits do vary...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070304

I've always complained when lorries are doing 40 on a single carriageway, but apparently they're supposed to.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Greg66 wrote:
    Also, anyone who decides that a queue of traffic is a bit beneath them. So it's all right to pull out, drive up the outside of the queue, then barge in close to the front. Especially well-practised at traffic lights with a straight-on lane and a right/left turn only lane. Seriously, if these people tried this whilst queueing for tickets at a train station, they'd end up being knifed. Why is it all right in a car?

And their close cousins who can't wait the three seconds while the guy in front pauses for a gap in the oncoming traffic before turning right, so swerve left without checking, and f*** anyone who was riding down the cycle lane/bus lane.

And the halfwits who seem to be unable to come to a proper halt at a give way line or set of lights, but instead slow to a crawl and keep rolling forward. Are you pulling out? Well are you? Well get on with it then.

And....

I'll stop there before I get all het up.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    And the halfwits who seem to be unable to come to a proper halt at a give way line or set of lights, but instead slow to a crawl and keep rolling forward. Are you pulling out? Well are you? Well get on with it then.

Oo-oo-oo! I hate the feckers who engage you in a two step. You ride along, and they appear ahead at a give way. They overshoot the lines, then stop. You back off a bit, because you're not sure whether they're going to pull out. They take this as an invitation to pull out a bit more. You back off a bit more, because you really don't want to go sprawling over their bonnet. They take this as a further invitation.. and so on.

This usually ends up with me riding very slowly and carefully around the front of their motionless car, now half out of the junction, and each of us giving the other the evil eye.

What (TF) is wrong with simply stopping dead still?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    The OP is referring to the morons who stick to the outside lane when the inside is clear and perfectly safe to return to, because they are too dim to obey the Highway Code which says they should remain in the left lane unless overtaking or turning right and if they do venture out, to return to the inside lane when possible.

I had the A1, A14, A11 & M11's worth of them last night :roll: A couple got undertaken (which usually gets loads of light flashing and making the previous 400m from the car in front, 2m) but I was being chilled, so moving into the inside lane when it wasn't safe for them to move in then back out when it was, then in, then out until they got the message generally did the trick...

Those sort of people cause accidents by driving without due care and attention to the surrounding road conditions (such as other road users) and not being considerate to other road users....
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Unfortunately the various motoring bodies don't help, with the government advising everyone on the M25 to use any lane and stay in that lane, and the ruddy AA recommending we go to either side overtaking like the PLOPS (Particular Load and Obnoxious Phonetic Spellers)!!!

I don't care what speed you do in the any other lane than lane 1, if the lane to your left is clear, bloody well move over. Worse are the 'my speedo says 70mph and it's a 70moph road' type you refuse to move into a clear lane so you can get past (interesting note; not all vehicles and/or drivers that are permitted to drive beyond the limit carry identification of any sort)

My favourite are those that insist on ignoring the 2 second vehicle separation rule, and wouldn't you know that's always when a dog runs out in front of you requiring an emergency brake application...well, it certainly looked like a dog/small child officer! The government should employ large vehicles with sharp spikes on the rear to perfom emergency stops at random locations, that would end the tailgater problem in about a year or less I reckon.
    "Coming through..."
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

I had my driving test a couple of months ago. At the end the tester made some comments about my driving. One of the main things he said was that I was too slow (which is what the instructor told me to do). He was suggesting that if the limit is 30mph, it wasn't acceptable to be doing 22-23mph.
    exercise.png
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I learned to drive/roadcraft on a motorbike - in the good old days when you were taught to "make progress"......My car test was in a Citroen 2cv - where progress was limited and I had to ask the tester not to lean against the door (just incase she fell out).

I think roadcraft and road position is simply not taught today....
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I don't drive on a daily basis, but just about all of the above came up over the weekend. It is really annoying and dangerous on a single carriageway when someone in a standard car sticks at 40 on a clear dry day and will not pull over to let the stream of traffic past.

On motorways I would allow undertaking. If the yanks can handle it then so can the Brits and once a lane blocker has had a few people zoom past then they will move. Those lane blockers are the same people that destroy the advantage of a four lane motorway as they gravitate over to the right.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I have a machine gun nest on the back of the Land Rover and occasionally go for a trip and pick a few of these numbskulls off; my kids take turns on the trigger, I just shout out where to fire. No-one ever complains to me about it - it's a public service.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    LOL I failed my first driving test for 'not making sufficient progress' in a car with 40% less engine than I was used to. Now I feel the roads are a safer place with me on a bike everyday. I was tempted to take out someones wing mirror, twice, the other day though.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    edited November 2010
    The worst - the VERY VERY worst are the ones that do the SAME damn' speed EVERYWHERE.

Open stretch of NSL? 40.

Fine weather, good visibility, clear, well aligned roads: 40

Bad weather, poor light, visibility reduced and debris on poorly-surfaced, twisting roads : 40

I have no problem with people who drive relatively slowly, the public highway being for the benefit of all, some of those having low powered vehicles, and some not being confident enough to make significant progress and yes, the speed limit being an upper limit, not a minimum. But yes, those who pick a given speed and drive at that speed (+/- 3 mph) everywhere with no regard to conditions or the nature of the road are worse than Hitler, and should be flung from catapults into the Sun.

Full disclosure: I drive a reasonably fast car (nothing special) and I generally like to make progress (read "drive swiftly") where reasonable under the conditions yada yada but personal experience has taught me that getting to my destination a few minutes earlier is not necessarily worth some of the potential consequences.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Those sort of people contribute to collisions by driving without due care and attention to the surrounding road conditions (such as other road users) and not being considerate to other road users....

FTFY
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I hate people who drive the wrong way down the motorway. Saw hundreds of them this morning! :-P