Bugger! Tube Strike!

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been off and up in Leeds for a couple of days and just got back to London last night about 21:00. Because it was late, I didn't do the usual which is to drop the car at the office and ride home on the bike ready for the morning. I get home, unpack, pull a tinny and am just settling down when g/f says - "Why are you not cycling in tomorrow - there's a tube strike!"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Took me over an hour :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:evil:

Comments

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    if it makes you any happier, the roads were chocka with cars and nodders. On the plus side i think i overtook THE ENTIRE WORLD. 10 bona fide scalps on London Bridge is a PB.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Pufftmw wrote:
    ... the bike

Well, there's your problem, right there! Easy solution staring you in the face!

Cheers,
    W.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    N+1 = success regardless of planning!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I was in the smoke yesterday, and walked from Euston to the Thistle Barbican hotel. Took me about half an hour; it was only once I was halfway there that I remembered I could have used a Boris bike. I bet they're getting some use today.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    Agent57 wrote:
    I was in the smoke yesterday, and walked from Euston to the Thistle Barbican hotel. Took me about half an hour; it was only once I was halfway there that I remembered I could have used a Boris bike. I bet they're getting some use today.

saw a pleasing pelaton of them ambling along this morning. did make me smile. i love boris bikes
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Alphabet wrote:
    if it makes you any happier, the roads were chocka with cars and nodders. On the plus side i think i overtook THE ENTIRE WORLD. 10 bona fide scalps on London Bridge is a PB.

Yeah & I bet one of them was mine as well! Took me 10 mins to drive over then got stuck on Tower Hill for ages :?

Saw loads of bikes and plenty of scalps to be had. Was able to watch lycra clad ladies at arse level as they tootled past :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the traffic was a little too busy for real scalpage imo.

I got 6 miles of normal cycling before 10 miles of traffic being significantly busier and everyone seemed to have temporary lobotomies in place

Saying that it was certainly better than previous strikes maybe the stryclists are learning
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Think my camera had already run out of battery power when I passed a slow guy on a proper motorbike. Not sure whether he was a newbie forced into London by the strike or was sticking to the speed limit?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Clever Pun wrote:
    stryclists

Just got it. D'oh!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Clever Pun wrote:
    the traffic was a little too busy for real scalpage imo.

I got 6 miles of normal cycling before 10 miles of traffic being significantly busier and everyone seemed to have temporary lobotomies in place

Saying that it was certainly better than previous strikes maybe the stryclists are learning

I think a lot more people were staying at home - much fewer cars on the road than the last strike too.

Still, if this gets more people onto bikes it can only be a good thing.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Not the case on the 'Northern Line' south of the river.

The A3, particularly through Clapham, was absolutely ridiculous. Gridlock at every junction from Clapham Common to Elephant & Castle.

How stupid do you have to be to try driving in on a tube strike day? And where on earth do these people expect to be able to park?
    Riding on 531
  • W1 wrote:
    I think a lot more people were staying at home - much fewer cars on the road than the last strike too.

+1 Was quite odd actually to not see far more on the roads... Though the roundabout north side of lambeth bridge - I really wish people would obey common driving laws. Inside lane is for the bridge or doing a u-ey surely. Not trying to force your way in the single lane otherside as it approaches parliament...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I was up in London the last couple of days. I thought about fighting my way through the madness to the Trafalgar Sq office, but looking at the sunshine and considering trying to get home at rush hour in the evening, I sloped off back to the countryside :lol:

I didn't have my bike with me and Boris Bikes don't seem to have made it as far as Crouch End yet, otherwise I might have tried it...
    Misguided Idealist
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    W1 wrote:

+1 Was quite odd actually to not see far more on the roads... Though the roundabout north side of lambeth bridge - I really wish people would obey common driving laws. Inside lane is for the bridge or doing a u-ey surely. Not trying to force your way in the single lane otherside as it approaches parliament...

It starts as two lanes there, then down to one. However I agree with you.

Parl Sq was very busy, but apart from that nothing out of the ordinary. Saw a lovely bright green Porsche 911 (997) GT3RS (yummy carbon fibre)....