rack bag, can anyone recommend one?

CarlosDSanchez
CarlosDSanchez Posts: 455
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Getting tired of using bungies to hold my rolled up waterproofs to the rack. Thought a rack bag might be a better option. Already have paniers but they are massive so get used on Mondays and Fridays only to lug all my clothes to the office and back.
Dolan Preffisio
2010 Cube Agree SL

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    i use this one...

altura-arran-transit-rackpack.jpg

I got it in store at evans but price matched it down to £26.99 from this place

I can fit a spare tube, mini pump, puncture kit, mini tool, krypto fahgettaboutit mini d-lock, rolled up jeans, t-shirt, pants, socks and my waterproof gloves in the main section.

It also has two fold out mini panniers in the zippable side sections but they are pretty small (i couldnt fit even one size 10 shoe as it's too long) I managed to squeeze an xl hoody in one pocket but it was a tight fit.

the pockets have a bungee at the bottom to hook onto the rack so they are pretty stable when riding.

the bag is attached to the rack with a separate panel with velcro loops that go around the rack itself, the bag attaches to the panel with two velcro strips and a three-point buckle system. it seems to be pretty stable.

the top handle also un velcros to make a short but useable shoulder strap for the bag too so it's easy to carry off the bike too.

the only thing I haven't tested it with is rain. but it's about the right size you could probably put a carrier bag or two over the top and loop the handles through the velcro straps to cover it in a pinch.

for £27 i'm very pleased with it so far. the bike is a little top heavy when fully laden though. fine when you're riding but makes it tricky wheeling the bike through doors etc as it tends to tip it over.
    Hat + Beard
  • How firmly is that held to the rack? Does it slip about at all?
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    no slippage, the velcro underneath the bag holds it in place on the fastening panel (to the point you have to give it a good pull to take it off) and the plastic clips (two at sides to the front, one at the rear) ensure it doesnt fall off in transit.

with the velcro loops on the panel that attaches to the rack done up tightly there's no play at and as far as I can tell when riding theres no wobble either.

I also forgot to mention it's quick to remove/fit too. you just undo the 3 clips and give it a hard yank upwards to pull the velcro apart and you're done.
    Hat + Beard
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    The Altura looks a bargain at that price.

I currently use this from Edinburgh cycles. It takes tubes, pump, tools, and a set of waterproofs. Stays on nice and tight and build quality is good.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 2D1&f_bct=
  • Don.
    Don. Posts: 43
    Whatever you do, DO NOT get these bags: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/15l-basic-x2-panniers-145729448/, they're a health hazard.
    The velcro straps at the back keep loosening enough so the bag slips into my back wheel.

Id suggest taking a look at panniers with clips rather than velcro.

Next time I get a rack Id probably look at something like this:
    http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Logo/LOGO%20PAGE.htm rather than the regular V shaped rack I currently have.
  • I've got a somewhat older version of that Altura bag which I've used on my tourer for years. Excellent and a great price.
  • Do you know if the Altura jobbie has a loop or something so I can attach my light not it? Currently got a mars 3 on the seatpost and I think the bag will over it.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL