The Puncheur

Ber Nard
Ber Nard Posts: 827
Hello,

I've just been looking at the course for the 2011 Puncheur and am thinking of entering.

I haven't yet done a sportive ride but this one is local so I'd like to give it a go. I'm pretty confident the distance/climbing won't be too much of a problem but I get the impression this is a pretty fast ride.

Would it be a good first sportive? Anyone had good/bad experiences of it?

Cheers.

Rob

Comments

• ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I've just entered it too - my first sportive as well. It's time to give my riding the next push onwards so I'm hoping this will help do that.

I've heard good things about it - you can search on it here for some comments. I think it's supposed to be reasonably challenging - last year was tough (nasty weather) and not many people made the gold standard, but I understand there are plenty of regulars likely to go again next year.

Cheers
    ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Ber Nard
    Cool.

I think I'll do it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It'll give me the motivation to get out on the bike over the winter as well.

Rob
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I've signed up for it... not doen it before, but the timings look like its expected to be done at a fast pace. I'll just be glad to finish it before it gets dark!

BTW, if you are local have you looked into joining http://ontherivet.ning.com/ ? It's a network for cyclists in and around Brighton with deatils of training rides, sportives and other local cycling events. Definitely worth a look if you haven't already.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • I did it this year and have entered again next year. It was cold and very icy in places this year but it was a good event as most people seemed pleased to be out on thier bikes after a long period of bad weather. How hard it is next year will depend how much training its possible to get in weather wise over the winter. Its a really well organised event, and a great way to start the (cycling) year. As a first event it'd be fine, as with most sportives there will be all sorts of entrants from those out for a nice ride with mates to those going hard for a time.
  • Ber Nard
    Right, I've signed up.

Better start putting the miles in, then.

That On the Rivet site look useful, cheers.

Rob
  • i did it last year & will probably have another go in 2011. it was good fun & the distance is manageable - you just need to save a bit for the beacon at the end. it was dry & icy - i parked at the top & cycled down at about 0630 i think - it felt like the coldest i'd ever been in my life! by the time i got to the bottom of the hill my head had frozen & i couldnt feel my fingers. had a very memorable cup of warming sugary tea.
  • I enjoyed it. I really struggled at the end because I had a lazy winter. It isn't difficult, people went a varying speeds and I was quite slow.
    Ditchling beacon is a beast but slow and steady does it.
    The ice this year was awful and many people came off. I saw two or three actually go down.
    A very nice route, a nice day, and a good distance to get back into the swing of things.
    I'm doing it again next year.
    A pleasant, smallish event. Good people.
  • I did it both years (2009 and 2010) and I've entered for next year. This year the weather was kind of harsh (it was freezing cold, there were patches of ice, and there was a bit of a prolonged headwind), but that's the chance you take with an event that early in the season. The course is nice and the signing is good. You've got a good 20 miles of relative flat before it starts to get lumpy in The Weald and again about another 10-15 relatively flat miles towards the end before you get hit by Ditchling Beacon right at the end. You will suffer up that flnal climb, no matter what you do beforehand.
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    Just signed up for this today. Not done the event itself before, but regularly ride around the area, so looks a good route.

Nothing major climbing wise apart from the Beacon, but a lot of little energy sappers along the way by the looks of things. Also, those little mid-Sussex lanes are a bit tasty when it's icy, but then again I won't be holding out for a Mediterranean climate in early March.
    "what's it pertaining?"