Back on the bike for the first time today.

SamWise72
SamWise72 Posts: 453
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Some of you will remember I took a heavy spill about two and a half weeks ago. Well, I haven't been back on the bike yet; lots of pain and weakness in both arms. Tried during my first week off, and was in agony instantly up both arms. However, I leant a bike to a friend at the weekend, and rode it round to the car without too much ill effect (felt the need to favour my left hand for load bearing, but it's fine).

So, today I'm back on the Brompton. 3 miles to the station, train to Portsmouth, half a mile there, 2 hours work, half a mile back to the station, train to London, nip from Waterloo to Euston, train to Manchester, couple of miles in Manchester. Then a days work there tomorrow, and train to Cambridge. Thursday morning will be the true test; 16 miles across the Cambridgeshire countryside. If I don't feel I can manage that after today and tomorrow's exploits, I'll be able to find a lift. Wish me luck!
MiniLogo-1.jpg
http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Good luck!!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ^ Wot 'e sed :)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Some of you will remember I took a heavy spill about two and a half weeks ago. Well, I haven't been back on the bike yet; lots of pain and weakness in both arms. Tried during my first week off, and was in agony instantly up both arms. However, I leant a bike to a friend at the weekend, and rode it round to the car without too much ill effect (felt the need to favour my left hand for load bearing, but it's fine).

So, today I'm back on the Brompton. 3 miles to the station, train to Portsmouth, half a mile there, 2 hours work, half a mile back to the station, train to London, nip from Waterloo to Euston, train to Manchester, couple of miles in Manchester. Then a days work there tomorrow, and train to Cambridge. Thursday morning will be the true test; 16 miles across the Cambridgeshire countryside. If I don't feel I can manage that after today and tomorrow's exploits, I'll be able to find a lift. Wish me luck!

It's going to be pretty windy, make sure you're riding with a tail wind ...................
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    see you in the cambridgeshire countricide :wink:
  • Made it to the station in one piece! Discovered that locking my right arm out whilst gripping the bars requires more twisting than I've habitually been doing these last two weeks, but I can do it. I guess that'll get various bits stretched that need to be! The only thing that's caused pain so far was an experimental attempt to lift the bike, loaded with all my gear for 3 days working away. Even that wasn't agonising, though I felt no desire to continue the experiment! Whole thing with the left is fine, bag on right shoulder, folded bike in left hand is also fine. No SCRing for me today though!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't think you're supposed to lock your arms out when riding - there should be a bit of relaxed bend in there, which helps a lot with shock absorption apart from anything else!
  • I agree, but there are times when you want to.

Had a moment in Portsmouth where a driver just ignored me and ploughed across a mini roundabout where I was turning rigt. Locked the back wheel, and gave my arm a painful shock, but avoided him. It never rains, eh? On the train to London now.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Glad you back on the bike safe and sound.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I hate finding my way round Manchester. Got to my hotel at midnight in the rain. Arm hurts a little this morning, but I'm ok. Got to find my way back across town (ideally alive), and then this evening, on to Cambridge, which is another navigational nightmare!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I was a bit similar a few weeks back after getting knocked off by dogs and badly jamming both wrists.

On very smooth tarmac everything was fine but the slightest bit of broken pavement had to be ridden with no weight at all on the bars to avoid screaming.

..............good news is that it got steadliy better over the course of a week and then became fine. Just take it easy fella.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Thanks, that's encouraging :) I'm glad not to be riding a road bike position this week, that would hurt, but yeah, my sense is that doing it will aid my recovery. I'm pretty certain I'll do the 16 miles tomorrow, as long as it's not absolutely bucketing, and maybe even then!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg