my new baby

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited January 2011 in Your mountain bikes
So im sitting on the train, have another 4 hours until im home but wanted to poat this up. Literally just bought this bike, travelled too far to get it, but it was worth it. Picked it up for 600 brand new which was a stupidly good deal considering they are on "sale" for 2600 in my local shops.

Its a 2010 bmc supertrail st02. 160mm front a rear. Took it for a little spin earlier and my god is it plush, much better than my hardtail.

2010-11-02_14-50-00_733.jpg

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Nice and a bit of a bargain too.
  • Yes quite the bargain well happy with my purchase. Well worth almost 9 hours on a train to get it.
  • Got it home, got my carbon bar ends popped on, my specialized saddle and will be hopefully buying some bling this week! Thinking green may be the color of the bling for this bike, had red and blue on older ones and fancy a change!
  • Decided to switch to red colour theme, as I already had red headset spacers sitting on my commuter and needed to change something desperately about the bike.

Here's a pic of how it's looking now! Taking it out for it's christening ride tomorrow finally, as the past few days not having enough time to be able to ride has been a bit of a killer.

2010-11-04_20-25-36_543.jpg
    2010-11-04_20-26-10_106.jpg
  • First time ive seen a 160mm All mountain bike with a set of bar ends on, each to their own though :wink:

Nice bike btw.
  • WelshLoon wrote:
    First time ive seen a 160mm All mountain bike with a set of bar ends on, each to their own though :wink:

Nice bike btw.
    it makes sense when you think about it. All mountain is getting up mountains and then getting back down. So the bar ends really do help with the climbing. I use them
  • WelshLoon wrote:
    First time ive seen a 160mm All mountain bike with a set of bar ends on, each to their own though :wink:

Nice bike btw.
    it makes sense when you think about it. All mountain is getting up mountains and then getting back down. So the bar ends really do help with the climbing. I use them

Hit the nail directly on the head.

I climb just as much as descend, and the bar ends help wonders. Everyone I ride with has them on their AM bikes as well. But we have proper hills here in Austria haha
  • WelshLoon wrote:

Nice bike btw.

Hit the nail directly on the head.

I climb just as much as descend, and the bar ends help wonders. Everyone I ride with has them on their AM bikes as well. But we have proper hills here in Austria haha
    Actually, you probably spend more time climbing than desending, so makes even more sense. They also helps when sprinting for whatever reason.
  • Well took it out for my christening ride yesterday, 2000 vertical metres, and back down once finished.

Rode like dream on the downhill bits, but going up it was a bit of a dog. Weighed it when we got back to my friends house, 15.6kg which is stupidly heavy, and I definitely felt the weight. Gonna get new wheels and swap parts out eventually, hopefully can get it down to 14.5 or so.
  • Looks sweet that MountainMonster :D
  • Very Cool,

I can understand what you mean with the bar ends, but they take precious real estate on the bars narrowing them for the decents, And dislike that hugely.

And to be honest I never found bar ends actually helped generate more power. I mean you have to stand up to get them to put your weight more forward and generate leverage, And who stands up to climb on a 6" trail bike? your talking major bob if you do?
  • Very Cool,

I can understand what you mean with the bar ends, but they take precious real estate on the bars narrowing them for the decents, And dislike that hugely.

And to be honest I never found bar ends actually helped generate more power. I mean you have to stand up to get them to put your weight more forward and generate leverage, And who stands up to climb on a 6" trail bike? your talking major bob if you do?

Im lucky to have propedal on the shock and lockout on the forks so bob isnt bad. I find they help alot even when not standing up, probably not to generate power, but just comfort, allows me to relax the upper body a bit.

They do take up some space, but im planning on getting some wider bars, so should help a bit with the descents.
  • Who doesn't have pro pedal these days? :p

Fair enough if you like them for wrist comfort, but on a FS bike I can't see how they can physical aid climbing other than as you say a different hand position.

Otherwise i really like it, drop the bottle cage in the bin to keep the clean lines :p
  • Who doesn't have pro pedal these days? :p

Fair enough if you like them for wrist comfort, but on a FS bike I can't see how they can physical aid climbing other than as you say a different hand position.

Otherwise i really like it, drop the bottle cage in the bin to keep the clean lines :p

Yeah true on the propedal hehe.

Mostly for different wrist placement, I get arm pain from keeping my arms in the same posistion, and these help keep me comfy on longer rides.

I need the bottle cage, may just switch to using my bag, although it is quite nice being able to just keep the bottle there, and keep important stuff in a small fanny pack for comfort.

Added a few bits, got some bar end protectors, new head doctor in red, and seat clamp. Got a savings fund started for a set of Fox 36's and a nice light set of wheels for the bike.

2011-01-03_19-39-45_833_SanktPlten.jpg