Line up the Beasts, two by two....

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
A river is now running down St Vincent Street outside my office.... Cold Monsoon in Glasgow.... Another soaking this evening I fear!! But at least is a southerly wind, and will blow me up Maryhill Road at a fast pace.... Rather than the usual at this time of year, the Maryhill Youth trying to blow me up with Fireworks!!
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Unseasonably warm here - light southern breeze as I rode in this morning :wink:
  • Wallace1492

Ahhhh light southern breeze for the light southern softies!! :)
    By the time the light southern breeze reaches here from London, it has covered 400 miles of bleak, dark, empty nothingness, and turned into a howling gale, carrying plenty of icy water.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097

By the time the light southern breeze reaches here from London, it has covered 400 miles of bleak, dark, empty nothingness, and turned into a howling gale, carrying plenty of icy water.

Indeed. Unlucky. :P
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Unseasonably warm here - light southern breeze as I rode in this morning :wink:

As a resident of the bleak, dark empty nothingness. I would just like to day hello.

aaaaand I'm heading due South tonight from Nottingham, so thanks for that.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788

Which is why I'm unlikely to visit way North unless I'm guaranteed temperatures of 22+ for a 48 hour period :wink:

Sez the Southern Wanda sporting two pairs of gloves and SealSkinz socks to/from work today 8)
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    I really misread the title of this thread. Saw an 'r' in beasts. Oh well....
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Kudos to anyone cycling in this weather. I didn't even much enjoy driving home in it last night :(

Neither did my colleague. Luckily Wallace your in the west and therefore in the opposite direction to where she will be heading. She almost knocked a cyclist down last night in the bad weather :?
  • Oh flipping 'eck. We have wind and horizontal rain now.

Bottoms.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    A river is now running down St Vincent Street outside my office.... Cold Monsoon in Glasgow.... Another soaking this evening I fear!! But at least is a southerly wind, and will blow me up Maryhill Road at a fast pace.... Rather than the usual at this time of year, the Maryhill Youth trying to blow me up with Fireworks!!

I've said it before and i'll say it again.

YOU CHOOSE TO LIVE UP T NORTH

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Sez the Southern Wanda sporting two pairs of gloves and SealSkinz socks to/from work today 8)

Perhaps if you wore some clothes as well you might be a bit warmer ...?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    Kudos to anyone cycling in this weather. I didn't even much enjoy driving home in it last night :(

Neither did my colleague. Luckily Wallace your in the west and therefore in the opposite direction to where she will be heading. She almost knocked a cyclist down last night in the bad weather :?

Its OK, we have enough poor sighted bus drivers, taxi drivers and white van drivers without your colleague. The Mountain Bike run was interesting last night, you should have come along!! :wink:

To ITBOFFIN, yes I choose to live here and endure the weather, but I am allowed to moan about it, of have you passed a law not letting the Natives be Restless?
  • itboffin
    suzyb wrote:

Its OK, we have enough poor sighted bus drivers, taxi drivers and white van drivers without your colleague. The Mountain Bike run was interesting last night, you should have come along!! :wink:

To ITBOFFIN, yes I choose to live here and endure the weather, but I am allowed to moan about it, of have you won a war not letting the Natives be Restless?

What war??? :roll:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    That was HORRIBLE......!

26 miles. Started OK in vague drizzle, soon ended up proper rain. Dark, wind blowing like hell. One of my lights going on strike, the other even more a 'be seen' rather than 'see' light. Unlit roads, rain, dazzled by cars (got no dip beam gents? And why have you got your fogs on when I can see half way to Lancashire?). Floodlight at the kennels on York road pointing straight up the road so you can't see a thing in front, rain spearing my eyes like gravel, wind trying to blow me over to Pateley Bridge. Eaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    That was HORRIBLE......!

26 miles. Started OK in vague drizzle, soon ended up proper rain. Dark, wind blowing like hell. One of my lights going on strike, the other even more a 'be seen' rather than 'see' light. Unlit roads, rain, dazzled by cars (got no dip beam gents? And why have you got your fogs on when I can see half way to Lancashire?). Floodlight at the kennels on York road pointing straight up the road so you can't see a thing in front, rain spearing my eyes like gravel, wind trying to blow me over to Pateley Bridge. Eaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

+1 except I was on an unlit riverside track with the Trent / various Canals to my left. At one point my Cateye singleshot plus took a flyer - very impressive: bounced straight towards the River and at the last minute stayed on the path.

I am in pain. Even the bits in pain are in pain. My bike is so dirty I need a shovel or possiibly a plough to clean it
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have started wearing a waterproof "mountain" cap under my bike helmet - I look like a twassock, but I did have a dry head, my glasses stayed rain free, and I was able to shield my eyes from most headlight dazzle.

I'm also pleased with my montane stormrider jacket - completely dry above the waist.

Except for damp feet and sealskinz gloves, I stayed (fairly) dry - although my outfit was fairly eccentric.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'd start quoting certain 4 letter acronyms that start with an M and end with a U, but we've all been there, I feel your pain - commuting in the dark in a torrential downpour into a brutal headwind is not fun...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Strange - when I rode home tonight it was quite warm and you know those days when everywhere you ride its into the wind ? Well tonight which ever way I rode I had a pleasant light but firm tailwind. I think I may have set a new record for the Cricklade Road dragstrip 8)
  • It really doesn't feel fair to mention that it's almost 10pm and still 14 degrees at London City Airport, and that it's dry. Sure, there's a breeze, but then again, not enough to keep you cool if, like me, you went out thinking it was November...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I got a little sweatier than planned today. Didn't bother with the overshoes at all and the full finger gloves were overkill. November weather it aint.
    On Saturday the showers I got caught in were more like April Showers. Bright sunshine, nice and warm but still chucking it down for a few minutes.

It can be a bit of a git working out what to wear.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • It's been balmy zephyrs here in that London... thought I'd turned the clock back to August.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I got a little sweatier than planned today. Didn't bother with the overshoes at all and the full finger gloves were overkill. November weather it aint.
    On Saturday the showers I got caught in were more like April Showers. Bright sunshine, nice and warm but still chucking it down for a few minutes.

It can be a bit of a git working out what to wear.

Ah, I had no such dilemma - indeed I mentioned this to my colleagues as they laughed at me this evening.

November weather it is.