Advice on cramp needed!

Tim.s
Tim.s Posts: 515
edited November 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Riding at an event this weekend I suffered for the first time from real agonising cramp in my legs, I had probably pushed myself a little too hard but this was something else!

I'd hopped off the bike to push up a short muddy hill after plugging through some deep mud and after a few paces both legs cramped up solid, I managed to keep my legs moving and walked it off but a short while after whilst in the saddle both legs went again and I just fell sideways off the bike onto my side. I was pretty much immobilised and in agony, I had to use my hands to physically bend my legs at the knee and sat cross legged for a while until it eased off. 24 hours later i'm still very stiff.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I'm not the fittest person but I've pushed myself harder before and this really caught me by surprise.

Anything I can eat or drink? Any suppliments or vitamins which might help? Someone at the finish line suggested tonic water? Any reason why that might help?

Thanks, any advice would be gratefully recieved!!
"Didn't hurt"

Comments

• Ouch- I feel your pain!

Cramp is not full understood, (as many medical things still often aren't!) other than is can be caused by more than one 'body salt' being low within the body- included in these are Magnesium, potassium, normal sal (sodium chloride)t, and calcium.

To reduce the risk the normal advice is to ensure you drink plenty including electrolytes, are fit enough for what you are trying to do and warm up (and down) properly. People often swear by bananas as they are a natural source of potassium.

Tonic water is high in quinine which is meant to reduce the effects of cramp.

Its also one of those things that can just jump out and get you when you dont expect it, and varies in severity from mild, to rolling around dying levels of pain!

As you are still sore now its worth taking some anti-inflammatories and giving your body enough time to recover before you try to exercise again. The other thing that may help you now is a nice hot both which will help relax the muscles and a good massage!

Good luck!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • That does not sound good - However if i saw someone on the floor in agony im not sure what I would do.. approach with extreme caution?
  • Eat bananas.

The potassium in them is supposed to stem cramp... We used to eat bananas throughout a rugby 7s tournament and it did seem to help.

I've lived by that ever since and hardly ever get cramp!

But... Dehydration and other factors such as not warming up or stretching can also lead to cramp so dont forget to prepare properly!
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Thanks guys, much appriciated.

I'm going to think a little more about what I eat pre ride and take care to warm up properly.
    ollie_lucas1985 That does not sound good - However if i saw someone on the floor in agony im not sure what I would do.. approach with extreme caution?

The group was quite spread out and I was towards the back by then so no one came by, I must of looked a sight writhing around on the floor tangled up in my bike and backpack!
    "Didn't hurt"