l'Etape or La Marmotte in 2011?

Hello all! New poster so go easy on me...!

I've had a look through all the recent post about these sportives and have taken them in as best I can but want to post to see if I can get a definitive answer to my questions!

Firstly, as the Etape to Alpe d'Huez is shorter (and more expensive) do people think it's worth doing the longer Marmotte instead, especially as it's more challenging and there is the Grimpe the next day - more bang for your buck and a better experience?!?!

Secondly, is it worth trying to get on these independently or better going with a tour company? It seems like plenty of money can be saved solo but I imagine the extra money is worth it for the lack of agro in the build up?

Finally...the million dollar question! I'm new to cycling and have been riding about two months having got the bug from my first triathlon. I'm 23, in what you may class as the generally 'fit' category of person, have completed two tri's and cycled 415km in 5 days over parts of the Southern Alps in NZ off the back of no training whilst travelling earlier this year (a 90 miler being my longest day)...

As a result, is La Marmotte a realistic goal for 2011? I'm building up my miles and planning to join a club in the new year! I'm fully aware it's bloody hard but I just need some confirmation it's manageable off 6 months training!

So to all those who've been there and done that, sorry for being a pain but...HELP!!!

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Hi James and welcome

La Marmotte is one of the toughest sportives there is. 5,000m ascent in just over 160km taking anything from 6.1/2 to 13 hours, it's a hard day in the saddle for sure.

Personally, I think it's a much better value event than the Etape, especially as it's very easy to organise your own accomodation and entry as the event is a circular course rather than point-to-point. There's plenty of accomodation in Alpe D'Huez (slightly harder to find in Bourg D'Oissans but still easy to find if you book up early).

Not sure I'd have been able to tackle the Grimpe on the Sunday as I had enough trouble as it was getting out of bed. :wink:

I think if you train consistently and in a progressive way between now and next July, you should be able to manage it.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Bronzie wrote:
    Hi James and welcome

La Marmotte is one of the toughest sportives there is. 5,000m ascent in just over 160km taking anything from 6.1/2 to 13 hours, it's a hard day in the saddle for sure.

Personally, I think it's a much better value event than the Etape, especially as it's very easy to organise your own accomodation and entry as the event is a circular course rather than point-to-point. There's plenty of accomodation in Alpe D'Huez (slightly harder to find in Bourg D'Oissans but still easy to find if you book up early).

Not sure I'd have been able to tackle the Grimpe on the Sunday as I had enough trouble as it was getting out of bed. :wink:

I think if you train consistently and in a progressive way between now and next July, you should be able to manage it.

+1. Having done both I would vote for the Marmotte as the better event in cycling terms, though the crowd atmosphere at the Etape is even better. Get some decent riding in and you will be fine.
  • +1. The Marmotte is, er, the Marmotte. That etape to Alpe d'Huez is just a cut-down version.

As above, the fact that it is circular makes logistics so much better which really makes a difference to the whole experience of the day. On the other hand the etape crowds are motivating, but then you've got a 3+ hour bus ride back to the start. Massive hassle.

You have plenty of time to get Marmotte-fit. Aim for the Dragonride or another hilly, long sportive about a month before. Then pace yourself on the day, especially the Glandon, and eat.
  • I'm going for the Marmotte.

The etape looks too easy this year.

This gives me a big goal to train for. I'm gonna do all 3 days of the Tour of Wessex too!

Happy training dudes ...
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    La Marmotte for me. Booked the flights, hotel sorted. Waiting for entries to open then hopefully I'm good to go. I'm hoping it will be the highlight of next years biking & can't wait to get stuck in.

I've got 2 early season Mallorca trips planned & I'll do a few local Sportives to sharpen up a bit & get used to the long rides. I've got a time to beat on this years Etape du Dales (6h24) & that ride is a good grind! Hopefully I'll be in good shape for the main event.

By all accounts you can turn up to La Marmotte in fine fettle but blow it all by getting carried away with yourself & not fuelling/drinking enough. Which is exactly what my mate did last year...flying round then blew completely on the Alpe. It appears it's a ride that you have to treat with respect.
  • Indeed you can train well, get as fit as you've ever been and blow up. I did on the Alpe after about 6 hairpins. This also applies to racing snakes as I travelled in a group with a very good rider who DNF as he overdid it early on and cracked on the Alpe when on for a properly good time. Mate of mine cracked on the Alpe too and had to be driven to the top by concerned onlookers and handed over to medical support.

Three things for the Marmotte:
    1. Make sure you do the training there isn't any hiding place on the route.
    2. Don't overdo it on the day no matter how good you feel.
    3. Treat the bottom of Alpe D'Huez as the halfway point of the ride.

Good luck.
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    Both are only any fun if you don't mind sharing the road with nine thousand other cyclists of wildly varying degrees of competence - and in the case of the Marmotte, hundreds of impatient drivers through unlit tunnels.

Why people keep coming back to these two beats me - they are oversubscribed, overrated, and overpriced.
  • Why people keep coming back to these two beats me - they are oversubscribed, overrated, and overpriced.

Look forward to not seeing you and ruining the day then
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    Hey you won't need me to ruin the day - there's plenty of idiots around to do that without my attendance.

Enjoy :lol:
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I was intending to do the Etape this year and as I'd be doing it solo wanted to do it through a tour company to get a bit of support and to make the logistics easier. However for the Etape they're all charging over £800 for three days onto which I'd have to add travel. I can't justify £1000 for one 70 mile bike ride.

However for between £500 to £800 you can do the Marmotte or the Alpes Open Tour with a tour company and get 6 days of riding in plus a classic event for the same money as the Etape. I'm now trying to decide if I have it in me to do the Marmotte
  • If you are quick today you can get into next years etape on line. I have just been accepted.
    The cost is only 75€ which will leave you loads of cash to have a much better time than with one of the expensive and not so value for money "official" providers. But hurry.
    I did it in 2004 when it only cost 30€ but 75 is a lot better than any package.
  • Just for your info Highland dave, the official operators are being charged €200 by ASO; ASO have also prebooked most of the accommodation and are selling it back to the operators with a 100% mark-up.
  • I was planning to do the etape this year, until the routes came out. I'm going to wait until 2012 now to do something on the continent, but if I was going to do either the etape or marmotte I would do the marmotte, the etape doesn't make any sense if you have a choice, especially as you will be walking up the telegraph, or at least a part of it?
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    The cost is only 75€ which will leave you loads of cash to have a much better time than with one of the expensive and not so value for money "official" providers.

I know they're not good vfm but as I'd be travelling alone the logistics of trying to find accommodation near the start, getting to the start and then getting me and my bike back to my accommodation afterwards would just add stress and reduce the enjoyment. Going with a tour operator to one of the other sportives seems pretty good value especially compared to the Etape.
  • Hi we are a small cycling company based in Bourg d'Oisans and offer self catered / bed and breakfast / hotel and full etape week accommodation. Our etape week is £699 per person but that gets you a full week of riding here covering all the major cols plus the Col d'Izoard and the Alpe d'Huez Cycling Triathlon route. We also have entries for the Etape on Alpe d'Huez. - ASO charge us 200 euros for a guaranteed entry so by the time we add on credit card fees etc we have to charge £200GBP. We are also doing entry only for L'Etape if you join us for our cycling week in Andalucia at the end of March.

http://www.tourdoisans.com/letapedutour.asp

we are also running our own l'etape du tour week in June where we cover the Pinerolo to Galibier and then the Modane to Alpe d'Huez stage over two days. More info can be found here.

http://www.morethan21bends.com/etape_overview.asp

Phil
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Done the Marmotte twice now and would thoroughly recommend it. It's a great route and a proper challenge.

Never seen the point of the L'Etape - silly money just to ride a 'Tour stage'...

Going to different climbs in 2011 though :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • suppose everyone has a different opinion, wouldn,t the world be a boring place if we all thought the same..