Velopeloton vs Pyractif

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited November 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi folks,
Planning a trip to the Pyrenees and both Velopeloton and Pyractif seem to get favourable reviews here.
Looking on the map, Velopeloton seem to have the better location for the cols but I wondered if there were positives and negatives about both.

i.e..even though Velopeloton is closer, I should go with Pyractif instead because.....

Thanks
:)

Comments

• Never used Velopeleton, but I can't say enough for Chris and Helen at Pyractif. I have been there five times now and still haven't bagged all of the cols local to them. We managed 7 in one day without using a vehicle and were back in plenty of time for one of Helen's huge and tasty dinners. Have a look on their website and they give a brilliant list of local cols with distances to and info about:
    http://pyractif.com/profiles/index.html

There is no way you will get through that lot in a rush. Believe me, I am trying! Very friendly atmosphere, great food, both Chris and Helen are riders, so have good understanding of riders' requirements. They will always get my vote. Am planning 2 or 3 trips this year, hope to see you there!

Ed
  • rc856
    Cheers Ed.
    Yeah, I've exchanged a few e-mails with Chris and he comes across as a good guy.
    I was more or less set to go with them until only recently I heard about Velo.
    From my position where I don't get out as much as I'd like, Velo's location appears better because some cols are more within my range.
    I'm thinking that I'll only be eating and sleeping at the place and me and my mate will be out and about on our own.
    Just wondered if Chris and Helen being nice people was enough to put me a wee bit further away etc.
  • Depends which cols you are chasing. Pyractif has the Ares, Larrieu, Portet D'Aspet, Mente, Buret ad Port De Bales right on the doorstep and is a short warm up ride from Luchon and Superbagneres, the Portillon and the Peresourde. Certainly enough to go at for riders of all standards.

Really, I should use a different company located elsewhere in the Pyrenees to enable me to rider cols further afield. That said, the food, help with route planning, workshop facilities and general niceness makes the extra mileage a pleasure rather than a pain. Chris has even come out to rescue me when I decided to try and ride 120 miles over 5 major climbs in 40 degree heat. (Good training for the 2009 Etape as it happened!) At the end of the day, have a word with both and make a decision. Pyractif have always been good for me!
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    We stayed with Paddy & Olive at Velopeloton during this years Tour and it was excellent. It's a great location for Tourmalet, Hautacam, Luz Ardiden, Solour, Aubisque. Nice friendly atmosphere, Paddy was great for local info and routes while Olive laid on some great grub, we would certainly go back.
  • We (HC Tours) have some trips to Pyrenees during 2nd week of 2011 Tour.
    Gites, spectating and ride tips and some guided rides too.
    see http://horscategorietours.blogspot.com/ for more or ask questions on here too obviously.
  • rc856
    Well, I'm now really excited! :)
    Booked with Velopeloton purely because of the shorter distances to the cols I'm aiming to do.
    We wouldn't be able to ride 50 miles and then do a col etc.
    Not that I want to wish my life away but June 2011 is soo far away!

I'm already looking at the map to see how to get the best out of our trip.
    It's only 4 nights so unless we can get a quick ride on arrival day, we've got 3 whole days.

On our list would be be Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Aubisque, Marie Blanque for starters.
    Thinking we could do Marie Blanque/Aubisque in one day. Tourmalet then over to the Pici de Midi and then maybe Luz Ardiden followed by something like Cirque de Tramousse.

Unfortunately we can't stay longer so have to think about other climbs like Hautacam etc.

Just have to make sure I go back!! :)
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Good choice, I'm sure Paddy will help you with your route planning if you need him to.
    Hautacam is just across the valley and it's a must IMO. We rode it in the afternoon after going up Luz Ardiden and it was the toughest col we rode, harder than Tourmalet, mind you it was baking hot when we did it.
    5170383742_d014b7e0be.jpg
    Hautacam in the distance from window of Velopeloton