Lights - bag/helmet mounted - what to get?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
I have to cycle across Epsom downs to get home & whilst I have some lights on my bike i'm thinking of adding some extra illumination just to be safe, ideally the rear would be bag mounted, but maybe helmet, just wondering what to get really.

Oh also looking for a balaclava as well as it gets seriously cold up on the downs!!

Cheers,

Russ

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    If your going to be using a rucksack I'd recommend one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Respr ... 360020757/.

Place one of these on the inside of the rear pocket http://www.rutlandcycling.com/16813/Sma ... Light.html

And possibly one of these on one of your seat stays http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Fibre ... 360046947/.

As for lights on your helmet have a look at this site http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... Wg&cad=rja
  • +1 for the hump rucksack cover, great for being seen and keeping your stuff dry!
    I've got my eye on one of these too http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topea ... 360046946/
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    The 6 led Electron Backupz is a good additional light, a lot brighter than you would think for the size and can be mounted in a number of different ways. About £12 from chainreaction.

Also check out the fibre flares, these could be bag mounted.
  • Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I think hi-viz is over rated. 90% of the cyclists on the road have them, it doesn't make you stand out any more than if you spent the money on some good quality lights.
  • I just added the alienlux head rear light by Topeak.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Lights/alienlux_red

Silly, but effective. :)
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    gaz545 wrote:
    I think hi-viz is over rated.....

Kind of agree - in London et al it's of little use during dawn / dusk and useless at all other times.

However out in the sticks on unlit roads, being covered in proper (3m diamond) reflective strips is great at nighttime for being picked up by headlights. Day-glo if of course useless under streetlights / headlights!

IMHO if you can add reflective stuff to pedals, shoes or ankles it screams out you are a cyclist.

Light wise, personally I am all for lights being at the same height as normal traffic. When driving / walking I don't tend to notice cyclists whose lights are too high / low (unless they are very bright) as my eyes are tuned to scanning for lights at normal vehicle height at night!

Rufus.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    RufusA wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    I think hi-viz is over rated.....

Kind of agree - in London et al it's of little use during dawn / dusk and useless at all other times.

However out in the sticks on unlit roads, being covered in proper (3m diamond) reflective strips is great at nighttime for being picked up by headlights. Day-glo if of course useless under streetlights / headlights!

IMHO if you can add reflective stuff to pedals, shoes or ankles it screams out you are a cyclist.

Light wise, personally I am all for lights being at the same height as normal traffic. When driving / walking I don't tend to notice cyclists whose lights are too high / low (unless they are very bright) as my eyes are tuned to scanning for lights at normal vehicle height at night!

Rufus.
    Hi-viz definitely has it's place, and like you say, 3m stuff is top notch.
    I agree with you on the lights, far too many people just put them under their seat and thats it. I've got one on each seat stay, one under my seat and one just above my wheel.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    gaz545 wrote:
    I think hi-viz is over rated. 90% of the cyclists on the road have them, it doesn't make you stand out any more than if you spent the money on some good quality lights.

Imho every measure should be taken to get yourself noticed when out on the road. Including Hi-Viz garments. Give yourself the best fighting chance you can. However just wearing hi-viz and displaying a plethora of lights isn't the answer. Good considerate, defensive riding is. Remember, its your ass!
  • Who here do I thank on the forum.

Someone, possibly more than one person has over the past month or so said about cycle helmet lights, I felt a fool putting a light on the back but WOW!, what a difference, I agree with Tonymufc about defensive riding, though I only poodle into and back from town, but again WHAT A DIFFERENCE it has made.

Drivers at least appear to be moving over more.

I like most drivers appear to have gotten so used to flashing cycle lights that you "sort" of notice them, but when something "odd" appears in front like a rider with a rear helmet light flashing bright you "see it", if only because it is different,so.

THANK YOU to all those who suggested it, from a middle aged cyclist.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

• I've got two of these. One on my seat post and one on the back of my helmet. The light comes with a belt clip attachment which conveniently slides onto the plastic adjuster at the back of my helmet (giro monza)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld110 ... ear-light/
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • Who here do I thank on the forum.

Someone, possibly more than one person has over the past month or so said about cycle helmet lights, I felt a fool putting a light on the back but WOW!, what a difference, I agree with Tonymufc about defensive riding, though I only poodle into and back from town, but again WHAT A DIFFERENCE it has made.

I like most drivers appear to have gotten so used to flashing cycle lights that you "sort" of notice them, but when something "odd" appears in front like a rider with a rear helmet light flashing bright you "see it", if only because it is different,so.

Of course the problem is when everybody starts doing it you'll become invisible again.... :roll:
  • Redjeep! wrote:
    Who here do I thank on the forum.

Of course the problem is when everybody starts doing it you'll become invisible again.... :roll:

my you're a little ray of sunshine aren't you (I hate that :roll: smiley - its seems so supercilious and arrogant) High level brake lights are pretty ubiquitous on cars now and still have the desired effect of being seen before near bumper level ones.

Be honest, how many cyclists have lights at all let alone have them helmet mounted & how many preclude themselves by not wearing a helmet? your doom scenario ain't going to happen anytime soon is it

On my commute I'm it for cyclists with helmet mounted lights, they're a godsend on the rural bits with no streetlighting and high field banks or stone walls above handlebar light height, I find that even in the busier urban light polluted areas it gives me an advantage of being clearly seen over and/or through cars and allows me the luxury of directing the helmet beam at drivers that are edging over give way lines or look to be trying to turn dangerously close across me to be sure they know I'm there.

to the OP I have a smart lunar 25 set (front and 1/2 watt rear) mounted on my helmet. as well as a couple of bike mounted front and rears too.
  • To me, it's akin to the stereotype of the hot-hatch-hoodies' cars festooned with extra lights: blue twinkle to the headlights, spots/fogs, lights under the car, lights on windscreen wipers?

Just make sure you're compliant with the law first, then bedeck/bejewel yourself/your bike to your satisfaction.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd definitely go with the lights on the bike first as a basic. I saw a bloke with just a helmet light on last night and it didnt scream out 'bike' as easily as the light on the bars. It also seemes harder to pinpoint where he was on the road as the light was a few feet higher than you'd expect ? Does that make sense ?

Reflectives are good - but you need the lights first and you are relying on the car having his lights on and shining at you - that may not be the case at junctions - so lights first.
  • cougie wrote:
    I'd definitely go with the lights on the bike first as a basic. I saw a bloke with just a helmet light on last night and it didnt scream out 'bike' as easily as the light on the bars. It also seemes harder to pinpoint where he was on the road as the light was a few feet higher than you'd expect ? Does that make sense ?

Reflectives are good - but you need the lights first and you are relying on the car having his lights on and shining at you - that may not be the case at junctions - so lights first.

Agree. Never been a fan of helmet mounted lights for this reason. The flashing helmet mounted are the most disconcerting, infact why anyone would want a flashing front light is beyond me.

I use one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/niterider-minewt-mini-150-usb/ which is a brilliant little light for commuting and just bright enough to navigate on dark back lanes.
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Kinda lucky that my helmet comes with a built in rear light!
    exercise.png
  • Agree. Never been a fan of helmet mounted lights for this reason. The flashing helmet mounted are the most disconcerting, infact why anyone would want a flashing front light is beyond me.

Actually a couple of PCs I know walking through Tavistock park commented on the "visualisation" of the flashing lights to the front, "they drew our attention", that is why, they make the pedestrian look.

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Agree. Never been a fan of helmet mounted lights for this reason. The flashing helmet mounted are the most disconcerting, infact why anyone would want a flashing front light is beyond me.

Actually a couple of PCs I know walking through Tavistock park commented on the "visualisation" of the flashing lights to the front, "they drew our attention", that is why, they make the pedestrian look.

Flashing lights tend to attract attention. They are no use to see by though.

Flashing lights serve a purpose, as do solid ones, as does hi viz etc- no one set of lights / visibility aid is best at everything
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    , infact why anyone would want a flashing front light is beyond me.

Flashing lights serve a purpose, as do solid ones, as does hi viz etc- no one set of lights / visibility aid is best at everything

I agree that is why on all relevant threads I have posted the following, take a look.

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx

9w of LED Lensers on front £80, and two flashing.

• Redjeep! wrote:
    Who here do I thank on the forum.

my you're a little ray of sunshine aren't you (I hate that :roll: smiley - its seems so supercilious and arrogant) High level brake lights are pretty ubiquitous on cars now and still have the desired effect of being seen before near bumper level ones.

Be honest, how many cyclists have lights at all let alone have them helmet mounted & how many preclude themselves by not wearing a helmet? your doom scenario ain't going to happen anytime soon is it

On my commute I'm it for cyclists with helmet mounted lights, they're a godsend on the rural bits with no streetlighting and high field banks or stone walls above handlebar light height, I find that even in the busier urban light polluted areas it gives me an advantage of being clearly seen over and/or through cars and allows me the luxury of directing the helmet beam at drivers that are edging over give way lines or look to be trying to turn dangerously close across me to be sure they know I'm there.

to the OP I have a smart lunar 25 set (front and 1/2 watt rear) mounted on my helmet. as well as a couple of bike mounted front and rears too.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be patronising, arrogant or depressing and I certainly wasn't suggesting that this was a reason NOT to wear helmet lights etc, just pointing out that in the same way people now say that hi-viz doesn't make any difference then if everybody starts to wear helmet lights etc, then the impact will be lessened. I also don't think it'll happen anytime soon either (I was out tonight in my car and went past a cyclist in the pitch black and fog, with no lights, no high viz and all in black).

Until then, I agree, wear as much as possible. I'm definitely in the 'use as much as possible' camp and don't understand why people wear dark clothing and don't have any lights.
  • I'm a little ray of sunshine, thanks.