Dude where's my d-lock?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
A while ago I thought I'd be smart and leave my main d-lock at the station, all good until I forgot which station, anyway now I've repeated this several times it's getting a bit silly.

Must over engineer a solution to this simple problem.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    which station? duurrr surely you left it at the one you frequent the most

jeez, you'll be having the painters in at this rate
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Take your d-lock with you?

Who let this crazy woman on the forum?! :roll:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    buy a d-lock for every station and keep all the keys on one big janitorial style keyring.

it might take a little longer to unlock/lock up each time but you'll always be prepared.
    Hat + Beard
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    hatbeard wrote:
    buy a d-lock for every station and keep all the keys on one big janitorial style keyring.

it might take a little longer to unlock/lock up each time but you'll always be prepared.

that's just silly.... give Abus/Kryptonite a call and order 100 identical d-locks so they all use the same key. Then leave them at every station you frequent... and also at the station either side in case the regular station is closed.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Implement your own Boris style bike racks at various locations around town, with swipe card access only to you.

You could have a fleet of bikes so there's always one where you need it.

Employ staff to 'balance' the bikes around the various locations, and to perform regular maintenance on your fleet.

Simple and effective.
    Souped-Up Trek Hybrid ( Clipless & Skinnies - FCN 6 )

Regularly humbled by the RP3LC, and the FG temptation is getting too much.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Travel everywhere with tools to cut through any lock so that if you forget your key you can cut your lock.
    If you've forgotten what station you have locked your bike up at, you will also be prepared to 'borrow' any bike you fancy (not that I condone bike theft).

OT, a bike has been 'abandoned' outside one of the garages behind my gaff. Its been there a few days and looks like a bike someone has stored in a garage for ages and now given up on. Generally in good nick (no rust, nothing bent/broken) but flat tyres, chain needs lube etc. Quite a good bike for a girl too.
    531 tubing in a girlie stylee, 650 wheels with Conti Grand Prix tyres, saddle bag (no idea whats in it), triple chainring etc.

I haven't seen the owner of the garage its outside to ask about it, but I have a relative who wants a runaround bike. How long should I wait (assuming I don't see the neighbour), before I appropriate it?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Til tomorrow morning :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    You need a 'Where I left stuff' app on your gps-enabled phone...

Does that fit your design brief? Over-engineered? Check :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    You need a 'Where I left stuff' app on your gps-enabled phone...

Does that fit your design brief? Over-engineered? Check :D

Waaaay ahead of you, I've downloaded the iphone sdk :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    hatbeard wrote:

I'm pretty much getting there, 4 locks @ 4 stations, 2 @ home and 1 and work :oops:

@LiT think of the weight!!!! :roll:
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    How long should I wait (assuming I don't see the neighbour), before I appropriate it?

Give it a full week. I know I was gutted when I had a bike nicked like that, so give it a full week - I'd locked up my bike (pub bike) near my friends house on a Friday night, had a very heavy weekend, it was there on the Saturday morning, went back to get it on the Sunday afternoon and it had gone. Don't know if I was more gutted about the bike or the 7 mile walk home...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    itboffin wrote:
    The best solution to an engineering problem is not necessarily technical.

Could you have one of your PA's track the location of your iPhone/Blackberry, and have the bike ready and clean when you arrive at the station ?

And put it away when you depart ?
  • hatbeard
    purchase long-range CB's and give them to a tramp outside each station.

paint your d-lock bright pink

pay the tramps 1x can of special brew a day to keep the CB about their person

when you need to find out where your d-lock is issue a round robin style request to the first tramp in the chain who checks for the pink d-lock and if not found passed on to the next one.

for redundancy you may want to also give cb's to newspaper sellers and/or those annoying students who try to get you to sign a direct debit for amnesty international.
    Hat + Beard
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mr Plum wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    How long should I wait (assuming I don't see the neighbour), before I appropriate it?

Give it a full week. I know I was gutted when I had a bike nicked like that, so give it a full week

Too late, the bike is gone. Looks like the Steptoe and Son style scrap metal man has had it as some other bits and pieces are gone too.

The bike had been there since saturday, so it was a bit early to be 'rescued', but if I had seen my neighbour, I would have had it.
    Pity if it has been chucked away as it was easily salvageable. New tyres and a bit of TLC was all that was needed.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

I'm pretty much getting there, 4 locks @ 4 stations, 2 @ home and 1 and work :oops:

@LiT think of the weight!!!! :roll:

Think of the training!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    itboffin wrote:
    A while ago I thought I'd be smart and leave my main d-lock at the station, all good until I forgot which station, anyway now I've repeated this several times it's getting a bit silly.

You daft sod

Write it down, you collander-brained ninny :roll:

(Am surprised no-one else has taken this simplistic approach)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • hatbeard
    SecretSam wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

You daft sod

That's far too simplistic, it'd never work... :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • itboffin
    jejv wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Could you have one of your PA's track the location of your iPhone/Blackberry, and have the bike ready and clean when you arrive at the station ?

I like that idea, I think the PA's would need matching very tight uniforms :P

droooooool
  • itboffin
    SecretSam wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

You daft sod

Sigh! and where would the fun in that be ..?
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    itboffin wrote:
    jejv wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I like that idea, I think the PA's would need matching very tight uniforms
    Your organisation has corporate lycra, yes ?
  • itboffin
    We do indeed have company kit, alas out of stock at present ;-)