co2 tyre inflator

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
has anyone got any views on the co2 inflator good or bad?which one if any?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• I have innovations mini one and had puncture last week, went to repair it and more air came out of side than in tyre and I was stranded. Also they almost cause frostbite on your hands as the canister gets so cold. Next day I went out and bought a Lezyne pump from wiggle.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • markyone
    ok cheers thanks for info may stay with pump :lol:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I also have the Innovations thing and find it works really well...but it can have the odd bad moment (as per above) so you have to be quite careful about alignment. When they do work well though they are a joy to behold as your tyre pumps up in seconds before your very eyes. You can get moving on much quicker and without w*nkers cramp in your arm, and get a good pressure in the tyre too.

However, I always carry a couple of cannisters and a pump.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    search CO2 on here.....

Lezyene pumps are fab
    Innovations air chuck as good as anything
    Unbranded gas and foam covers from tyre inflators website
  • Innovations air chuck. Had to use it a few times :cry: without probs, both Presta and Schrader valved innertubes. Handy that it is variable how much CO2 you let go to adjust pressure etc. not just blowing a full cartridge in like some CO2 inflators.

Like Scrumple said, buy the cheap unbranded cylinders, work just the same as the rest for a lot less money. Get the foam cover or wear a glove when inflating due to frostbite :wink:

www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • markyone
    thanks guys gonna star looking.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    I've got the Innovations one. In my experience when they work properly they are fantastic but they are a bit hit and miss and if you are not careful you are just as likely to lose the air rather inflate the tyre. You need to be very careful that you attach the device to the valve properly. I always carry three Co2 cannisters just to be on the safe side.
    One thing I would say is that a Co2 pump is a lot better than 300 strokes with a mini pump to get about 70psi.
    If you are going to buy a mini pump though Lezyne are the best.
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Innov ... e=googleps

Seriously guys, how on are you operating it wrong! It's foolproof!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Scrumple
    I used mine for the 1st time recently.... on a mate's wheel.

Tyre went rock hard in seconds, then instantly flat. Odd.

Ended up pumping it up by hand.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Having stood by the side of the road with three spent cartridges and a still flat tyre I went off Co2.

I have seen someone use a Lezyne mini pump and I was very impressed, however the Topeak Pocket Rocket (£12.99 from CRC) got my Tricomp to over 100psi fairly comfortably with more to spare.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Another vote for the Leyzne here - I use the trigger drive C02 inflator.

I punctured near the end of the Tour of the Peak on Saturday and it worked first time and takes maybe two seconds to fully inflate a completely flat tube.

For the hassle it saves I wouldn't be without it. I also bought non-branded CO2 cartridges and saved a small fortune.

Just watch out for the sudden temperature drop from these things, they do get seriously frost-bite cold. I carry a small cloth with mine - it save's it from rattling in the seat pack and then protects your fingers when inflating.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Been using CO2 inflaters for a few years now and never had a problem at all.

I use Innovators.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I carry a CO2 in races or for when I'm travelling very light and know I can get support - I'd rarely use it as my only means of inflating tyres though - it simply isn't reliable enough. I have the Air Chuck which is probably the best in terms of simplicity / ease of use. It also doesn't seem to work as well in wet weather / winter - tending to freeze more.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • This one is v cheap. Also v cheap website for refills.

http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/tyre-inf ... tegory=314
  • Scrumple
    edited November 2010
    my airchuck got me home tonight. Lashing it down, and cold. Didn't need the pump.

it got proper iced over... you NEED the foam covers
  • Same as link above ^^^^^^

Just as a thought, the guys having issues, you DO screw the cylinder into the chuck BEFORE applying it to the tyre valve don`t you? Not the other way round.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Don't screw mine. Use the threadless one with the Proflate housing. A study in ease.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • markyone
    just bought the air chuck lets hope its a good one, thanks for all the info.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I also have the Innovations thing and find it works really well...but it can have the odd bad moment (as per above) so you have to be quite careful about alignment. When they do work well though they are a joy to behold as your tyre pumps up in seconds before your very eyes. You can get moving on much quicker and without w*nkers cramp in your arm, and get a good pressure in the tyre too.

However, I always carry a couple of cannisters and a pump.

Another innovations user here and touch wood haven't had any problems so far. Although on a ride at the weekend another chap got a flat and wasted 3 cartridges for some reason. Personally I blaim the user...;-)
  • IceDog77
    IceDog77 Posts: 43
    I have the air chuck, but does anyone know where I can buy just the foam cover? I have looked all over.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The MOSA inflator works a treat. I do find you have to be careful to really push the inflator properly into the valve otherwise the CO2 just leaks all over the place and not inflate the tyre. The Mosa inflator isn't too bad in this respect, but I have another inflator which is more tricky to use. Hence I pump the tyre up first to about 60psi then use the CO2 to top up until the tyre is hard.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    IceDog77 wrote:
    I have the air chuck, but does anyone know where I can buy just the foam cover? I have looked all over.

This http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/index.ph ... tegory=314 ???
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I used cheap cannisters off ebay and they blew the internal rubber of the device out. Stick to a pump now! Too risky and if you don't do it right you end up destroying your spare inner tubes and end up walking home.
  • IceDog77
    IceDog77 Posts: 43
    Thanks drlodge. Thats just what I needed.

I have used canisters for years both for day long rides and triathlons and they are the standard for speedy recovery on the roadside now, although on longer rides I carry a mini pump also just to be safe.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I use a Unich inflator. Because the name makes me laugh

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/57146/Unich_CO2_Injector_Pro_CO2_Inflator
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen