Best Rain Jacket......?

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Following 35 miles in the rain on saturday I am now looking for a rain jacket to wear on days when it's raining from start to finish.

Not concerned with size/stowing, want something more substantial to keep out the rain for at least 2 hours of drizzle and warm enough to wear with just a baselayer/short sleeve jersey underneath.

Not overly concerned with cost at this stage, just want to know views on the best out there which has the balance of out and out waterproofing and breathability.

Ta :idea:
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    try a search....f
    For a softshell,
    Gore phantom II
    Endura Stealth
    neither a "rain Jacket" per say. fine in 2 hour "drizzle" Ok in shorter heavy rain.
    warm enough to wear a t shirt / base layer only below about 8/9C Gore has removable sleaves which are good. probably too warm if it is warmer than 8/9 degrees and you have to work.
    otherwise look for a gore tex shell. * boil in the bag.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/breathability-of-endura-stealth-vs-gore-phantom
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Paramo Valez is very good
    I have used similar in 8hrs of rain and it is also far more breathable than gortex.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    If cost is no problem, the Rapha Rain Jacket is an awesome bit of kit. Very breathable, comfortable to wear due to the lining, light enough to pack into a jersey pocket and most importantly mine has never leaked a drop. It has a good racing cut and also makes for a decent wind stopper if it's not gone into single figure temperatures.

They are outrageuosly dear, but crop up on fleabay regularly for more sensible money.
  • Sammyw23
    Well thats what I was looking at - the team issue rain jacket on sale for £150. Just wanted opinion on the best product out there. Was also looking at the new DHB range in particular the Minima.

Only thing putting me off the Rapha jacket is the black colour but thats a whole different thread!!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • ajb72
    Yeah, mine is the cream coloured option, but I own plenty of black kit too.

As you say, there's a whole other forum for that debate!
  • id reccomend the Endura Stealth! i wore it when cycling up the pyrenees in pissing rain and through france! it was a tad warm but this was at the beginning of sept when it was warm. It has plenty of vent you and open and i though these would cause me to get soaked but didnt! maybe in hard rain they would but then you just close the vents.

Very comfy and works really well.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Gore Oxygen

(ignore the bit about "2" in the pm, it is th goretex current version)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Altura Ergo fit thingymajig!....

In black, too! :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    ajb72 wrote:
    If cost is no problem, the Rapha Rain Jacket is an awesome bit of kit. Very breathable, comfortable to wear due to the lining, light enough to pack into a jersey pocket and most importantly mine has never leaked a drop. It has a good racing cut and also makes for a decent wind stopper if it's not gone into single figure temperatures.

They are outrageuosly dear, but crop up on fleabay regularly for more sensible money.

+1 (for the cream one)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The new Castelli Gore-Tex look nice at £400 :shock: Only weighs 200g so you won't notice when it falls out your back pocket!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Another vote for the Paramo Velez
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    CLX1 wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1 (for the cream one)

How Camp does it look?
  • Sammyw23
    Is that a statement or a question?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • ajb72
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    CLX1 wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

+1 (for the cream one)

How Camp does it look?

I don't get the question either??

It doesn't look like Liberace's smoking jacket if that's what you're getting at?! It's just a well designed, understated bit of kit that does exactly what it was designed to do.
  • Scrumple wrote:
    Gore Oxygen

(ignore the bit about "2" in the pm, it is th goretex current version)

Rain jacket or windstopper? Both awesome.

The rain jacket's great. And lives in a lovely little pouch.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.