john o'groats to lands end

09phillt
09phillt Posts: 17
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi, next summer I will be cycling from John O'Groats at the top of Scotland to Lands End, and I was wondering how to get hold of a road bike as I only have a mountain bike as I usually only ride off-road. Do you think a shop or hire place would rent one out for a few weeks, and what price do you think? It will be a charity ride so hopefully that will be taken into consideration as I can't afford to spend too much, otherwise I will just put some slicks on my mtb. What do you guys think?

Comments

• It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to get down to your local tip and find some old school road bike that requires some fixing.

I picked up a British Eagle for £20 with some reallty good components. Couple of hours of maintenance and its brilliant!
  • Hi there - good luck - I'm looking to do it some time in the next couple of years too!

I was wondering the same thing as you and that's how I stumbled across your thread! I have a road bike that I just purchased on eBay - there're some pretty good bargains to be had if you're patient.

But the bike I've bought is an out and out racer and not a comfortable option for JOGLE. That's why I am looking at hiring a bike for it - I don't want a MTB, road bike AND tourer (my shed only has limited room!).

Unfortunately the only people I can find so far that hire out bikes specifically for JOGLE are companies operating guided group rides of the route with all accommodation booked etc. This doesn't suit me as I want control over the planning, pace etc and the self sufficiency is all part of the challenge IMHO.

If you've got enough spare cash, perhaps buy a decent bike on eBay, do JOGLE on it and then stick it straight back on eBay?! That'd be like free hire! Hang on... that's a really good idea I just had - that's what I'm gonna do!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A road bike will be ideal for LEJOG or JOGLE if you don't need to carry much luggage. Contrary to popular belief a road bike can be very comfortable. My LEJOG was a rapid one averaging about 300km per day and I did it on a road bike (Kuota Kharma) with no comfort issues at all. Carried my own stuff as well using a seatpost rack.

If you put the training miles in on your bike and tinker with the position (you might need to change for a longer/shorter stem) then no reason at all why you can't use it.

FWIW I think hiring a bike is a daft idea as the chances of getting a bike that is perfectly set up for you will be remote. You should be able to pick up a decent used bike on ebay, which as StueyEd says you could resell straight after the ride and get most if not all of your money back.
    More problems but still living....
  • 09phillt
    09phillt Posts: 17
    edited November 2010
    By now I'm looking at a second-hand Specialized Vita for £400, will take a bit of saving but I think I can manage it, does anyone know of any places I should visit on my way down? It's going to be a bit of a tour, not a blast down the country.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You will want to do some training on the bike as well as the event. A road bike that can accept rear mudguards and a rear luggage rack is a whole lot more useful than a race-only bike. You may also benefit from lower gear ratios
    The Vita is a lightweight sporty hybrid bike that will do the job well but may benefit from some extra handholds, either bar ends, aerobars or replacement butterfly bars.
  • The Vita is WSD, check the geometry to see if its right for you.

The wife has one, she loves it. Its a nice piece of kit.