Pollution!

2»

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dr Alice Roberts did a piece on this during her excellent series some time back:

'Whilst explaining human lungs during the programme Don't Die Young broadcast on BBC2 in January 2007, Dr Alice Roberts of Bristol University measured her exposure to carbon monoxide whilst cycling into Bristol city centre. The results showed relatively high exposure only for a short period of time when she was stuck behind a large lorry. Dr Anthony Steed of University College London examined the data and said “not much to worry about, but if you can stay away from big juggernauts that would be sensible”.'

Interesting related stuff

I don't worry about it at all. Afterall, if you walk/live/work/tube etc in London you will be exposed. As others have said, benefits far far outweigh any danger. Fairly sure that those masks have be demonstrated* to have little or no value, as the really harmful particulates just pass straight through 'em.

*Citation needed!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I presume that it is really particulates rather than pollen that really gets my hayfever going.

I am not sure of the exact science, but more pollution allows more pollen to attach itself to the pollution particals thus making hayfever worse.