Scott Genius Pivot Bolt

coolboarder
coolboarder Posts: 149
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive gone and broke a pivot bolt on my Scott Genius mc 50 which is a about 5 years old. (the blue one) I was checking my frame out and decided to see if any pivot bolts were loose. The first one i went to broke just as i tried to tweak it up. I wasnt forcefull but the head sheared off.

Has anyone had to replace these and if so where did you get one from? Im guessing there is a full service kit out there which is probably quite expensive but i just need the one bolt. Im totally surprised it broke so easily. Are these designed to shear or was i just unlucky?

Should any one happen to have any spares lying around, its 67mm long and 10mm diameter and allen key head either end.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Comments

• 5 years? You must be very gentle on your bike.

The bolts are standard and can be bought from hardware shops and the internet for a pound or so.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    £18 and 3 months wait for a main pivot bolt kit for my Cannondale Rize (the old one had worn but was still usable). The new bolt needed copious amounts of lubrication and very gentle persuasion to make it fit through the new bearings.

I guess the bolt needs to be accurately made but Tank-slapper's hardware store suggestion is worth a shot if your bike is out of action.
  • 5 years? You must be very gentle on your bike.

The bolts are standard and can be bought from hardware shops and the internet for a pound or so.

whats the technical term for these bolts then? ive searched screw fix to no avail. Can any one point me in the right direction.

Ta

Heres a couple photos of the said bolt.

DSC_0563.jpg[/img]
    DSC_0562.jpg[/img]
  • Ah, not a common or garden bolt. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, I assume that the 'outer' bolt is what the bearing rests on and the bolt that has sheared simply holds that in place. If that is the case, you should be able to find a bolt in a hardware store. It won't look identical from the outside, but a 'socket head machine screw' would work. You need to remove the threaded part from inside the outer bolt and measure the length, diameter and thread pitch to find the replacement size.

Or, you can contact Scott up near Middlesborough and ask for a direct replacement.
  • apoc_reg
    apoc_reg Posts: 166
    I have just twisted the head off the same bolt. Did you manage to get a replacement in the end?

I dont think i want to buy a £120 pivot kit to replace 1 bolt :D I would like a direct replacement though.

Thanks!
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

My Pinkbike Page: http://reg11.pinkbike.com/album/MTB-Stuff/

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • col748
    col748 Posts: 81
    I had the same thing happen to my scott they used to sell bits individually, I believe they now only sell full kits for the "older models" (mine falls into this category) as I needed a part recently (a bearing luckily found one on net). That bolt will be harder to find, i'd be tempted to nut and bolt it with normal bolt, but you'll have to find one the right diameter to run inside chain stay bearing pivot bearings.
  • col748
    col748 Posts: 81
    Few to many bearings on the end there :oops: bearings.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I sheared one of these in the lakes last year, went into the LBS Biketreks in ambleside (fortunately a scott dealer) and he put one in for cost £15 total, so try your local scott dealer
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • apoc_reg
    Ah thats not bad is it, thanks i will

RIch
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • apoc_reg
    Townsends light blue cycles (scott dealer) in cambrdge came through, and only charged me £5 for the postagefrom Scott.

Big thanks to them!
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1