Hellfords

pugaltitude
pugaltitude Posts: 191
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I could be taking a chance here but my bike is going in for its 6 week check.
Its a Carrera Fury. Im happy with it but must keep the warranty up to date.
My problem is, when I went to book it in for its 1st 6 week check, the person behind the counter asked when did you purchase it? :shock:
Do I trust them with my bike?
Now you see why im taking a chance!

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    edited October 2010
    They probably asked you so they could check that you had actually bought the bike 6 weeks ago :wink:

Saying that, I wouldn't trust my local Halford's (they are rubbish though) with my bike but then I don't trust that many people with it
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on your Halfords.

they are not all the same. there are some very good ones out there. Just like the Independent Bike Shops.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    where's your local halfords?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I could be taking a chance here but my bike is going in for its 6 week check.
    Its a Carrera Fury. Im happy with it but must keep the warranty up to date.
    My problem is, when I went to book it in for its 1st 6 week check, the person behind the counter asked when did you purchase it? :shock:
    Do I trust them with my bike?
    Now you see why im taking a chance!
    Reasonable question. Most people wouldn't time it to the day, but presumably would book it in some time before the six weeks is up.
    Yet another baseless winge.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    Its actually a 6 week- 3 month check depending how often you ride so its not a time limit, once your over they wont do it. Give it a clean and make it look new and Im sure they would believe its 6 weeks. The idea of it is just to re-adjust your brakes/gears and tighten everything up after the cables have stretched and pads worn in etc.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970

Maybe the store assistant looked at you and thought they best check. Ask anyone that works in retailing about the people they have to deal with when you work in a shop.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I didn't bother taking mine in for the 6-week check. Wasn't aware it was in the warranty terms that you had to take your bike back to be fiddled with by a monkey.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Yet another baseless winge.

+1

love the 'Hellfords' too. Clever play on words. Funny that nobody has thought of halfrau...oh wait :roll:.

If nothing needs sorting, they won't touch it. So if you specified that when you dropped it off, they will just give it a run through.
    We'll see things they'll never see...
    Fury
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    My carrera didn't go back there after being purchased, until 11.5 months into ownership when I needed the forks repaired under warranty.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • the 6 week check doesnt affect the warrenty

however, if you take the bike back in in 4 months and say the gears dont work and the brakes are pooey, the first thing they will ask is did you have your 6 week check? if you say no, they will then promptly charge you £18 to sort out the above problems.

i have to say i dont really see what the gripe from the OP is, but maybe we missed something.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    it all depends on your Halfords.

they are not all the same. there are some very good ones out there. Just like the Independent Bike Shops.

what he said /\ /\

My local has a proper bike mech that they share with the other two close halfords. Hes a really great mech and is into mountain biking himself. Although I havent took my Cube there, he did alot of good work on my old GT
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Calling it Hellfords sums up what you think, so I wouldn't bother.
  • did they build it up for you or was it delivered direct ?
  • I take it nobody has read my post properly?

Iv asked a question which is do I take a chance?
    All I wanted was an answer of is Halfords any good in general at fixing bikes.
    How its a mindless winge iv no idea. If it was a winge I would be moaning and im not.
    If im going to book my Bike in for its 1st year service its not going to be in 3 years time?
    It was at carlisle but iv taken it to dumfries because its closer and was impressed at booking it in :D but I pick it up on wednesday so I will check and see if its done properly.
    And what iv been told at Halfords it does affect warranty and it was bought in the shop.
    Does this answer all your questions???

That is all!
  • so it was bought in the shop, was it set up correctly when you first collected it ?
    if so then take it back
    if not then don't
  • cooldad
    I take it you didn't read your post properly.
    From the language you used, you already had a preconceived notion, and rambled on about booking it in and being asked a simple relevant question.
    You may find that punctuation and capitals make the meaning of your ramblings more clear.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It depends on the actual shop really. Like any bike shop they vary. If you don't feel you can trust them, then avoid them.

Missing the 6 week check does not affect your warranty. However not keeping it maintained will.
  • You may find that punctuation and capitals make the meaning of your ramblings more clear.

So Mondays is exam day. I didnae hink bein on ae post cud B say heard?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I luv smilies
  • You may find that punctuation and capitals make the meaning of your ramblings more clear.

So Mondays is exam day. I didnae hink bein on ae post cud B say heard?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I luv smilies

Something wrong with you?

If you have had no problems in the past, why call it Hellfords? Tard.
    We'll see things they'll never see...
    Fury
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612

People try and get 6 week checks all the time even after a year. As stated above its also valid for 3 months.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    All I wanted was an answer of is Halfords any good in general at fixing bikes....

Thats your problem, as said before some are and some arnt you cant generalise to all 900 odd halfords.
  • sherbert19 wrote:
    Tard.

Hahahahaha!
  • This guy has the mental capabilities of my hamsters wang.
  • Tard and hamsters wang.
    Not many times you read that in 1 day! :lol:
  • cooldad
    This guy has the mental capabilities of my hamsters wang.

I think your hamster is a bit annoyed by the comparison.

_45172444_7211f371-45ac-4502-947d-23a06b2417bb.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools