sombody to ride with rutland area

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited November 2010 in MTB rides
just looking for sombody to ride with during the week or weekend over winter, XC sort of stuff but up for what ever, any age!

thanks
Ben

Comments

• Hi Ben, how are you?

I can meet up Sunday morning say about 9.00am if you want some company from a geriatric :lol:

What route did you have in mind?

Mike
  • i think i should be able to do 9am, as long as im better from my cold by then so it might possibly have to be next weekend but i will keep you posted! where abouts is the easiest for you to get to i was thinking rutland water or the bridleways around rutland that are really good, depends on what sort of milage you were after

Ben
  • i live just outside rutland water so i am fairly local to you, oh mike i did buy that trek fuel ex 8, very nice bike.
    it is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys
  • what sort of miles would you guys like to do? i should be better by next week so once weve decided milage then we can organise a day that suits all. would you guys be up for rutland water without peninsula, with peninsula, bridleways around braunsdon riddlington manton area? all of the above could start in whitwell probebly the easiest because if you guys drive to the ride you have a place to park cars.

how does that sound?
    Ben
  • sounds great, im not really fused about miles, ive been round rutland water a few times (the full circuit), whitwell an ideal place to meet up for me only live 2.5 miles away but will still drive there of course :oops:
  • cool sounds like a plan then! what days and times are best for you then? im currently at school full time so really most of the weekdays i can do from 4.30+ and anytime almost on sunday so really its up to you guys, i live in greetham so takes me only 10mins or so to get over depending on if i take some cool songle track on teh way over that i found last week!!!
  • weekends are best for me, i finish work quite late then have revision for exams to do afterwards fun :(
  • humm i feel you pain but sounds like your a little higher up the hard sacle than me :D hopfully i will have my cold under control soon hopfulyl at best might be able to make a sunday ride if parents let me but will have to wait and see but hopfully next week for sure, i think we should do the bridleway one through manton and riddlington if the weather is good othewise we should do the resivoir, are you guys fussed about weather?
  • not really fussed about weather (i work outdoors) so am well used to getting rained on,the bridleways through manton sounds great ive been once through them so not really sure of a route (i mostly ride in boune woods) so i hope you no a route :D
  • yeh i ride there lots its a great ride as long as its not really really windy and rainy because you ride on a load of hills and at the top it gets gusty quite a bit but its great great fun! i want to do bourne woods but its a little far to cycle then ride then cycle back again at the moment but might give it a go when weather is a little bit better :D ill keep you posted on when i can make it and we will go from there :) i should be better soon, if you see anybody on a run ragged giant boulder with a head light and s works helmet then thats me :D
  • just a wild guess, do you ride with the rutland velo club on a wednesday
  • Hi Guys, I would prefer not to do the circuit of the water, quite honestly I find it boring, but i;m well up for any of the bridleways. I always prefer to do an early morning at the weekends and i'm quite happy to meet up where ever.

Sam, pleased to here you bought the fuel Ex and are getting on with it well, I love mine to death.

Been over to the Peak District today and did a couple of hours around Totley Moor and the Houndkirk Road and then on the way back stopped off at Sherwood and did a quick blast of the Kitchener trail with lights, very spooky :lol:
  • cool to be honest i would ratehr not to the water too, it is rahter boring i just thought it would be a good thing to offer :D sounds like a plan then haha bridlways it is on a sunday early in the morning Sorted!

il let you guys know if i can make it this weekend other wise we can start next week if you guys can make it

Ben
  • yes Fat Sam i do do the velo club on wednesday, do you?
  • occansally yes its hard to find time in the evenings at the moment,
  • well you might have seen me, ive been doing it since the beggining of the summer upintill 5 weeks ago due to having an injury and not being able to ride for much.

asked mom and dad no riding for me this week it seems im afriad guys, absolutly next week though!
  • so whos up for doing this 28ish mile bridleway ride this sunday? how does 9.30ish sound?
    cheers guys.Ben
  • im still in, where are we meeting rutland water carpark,
  • yep, whitwell carpark right out side rutland cycles, i will be around and about the frontish of the shop at 9.30, is 9.30 okay or would later or earlier be better?

i went and did the smaller version of the coarse last weekend, it was very muddy in parts just warning you, i got through fine i run maxxis crossmarks so inless you run really really blad tyres you should be fine. we can set to go out on the 30ish but if we want to go a little shorter then there are cut throughs at points to make it shorter but still come out at the same place. Ben
  • i run nobby nics 2.1 front and rear, and just to warn you ben i ride an expensive bike (trek fuel ex8)
  • haha you saw that post then lol i wasnt digging at people who ride expensive bikes it just i see this guy regularly around rutland riding a yeti and everytime i see him (every week at least) hes always really really slow or needs a hand fixing a puncture, think i probably wrote it down in a diffrent way :D

and dont worry im sure you dont want to go really slow though haha
  • i see you on sunday 9.30 at whitwell :D
  • cool see you then!

puddlerider you fancy coming along?
  • Might join you, what's the intended route? 28 miles in the mud of the local bridleways sounds an interesting challange :)
  • it was great fun when i went last week, make sure you have tubes (sorry if im patronising there :D ) but i got acouple because they recently cut the hedges in places, hopfully they would have softend up by now!

yeh we can do around 28ish i think its a little more i dont have a bike computer and it was 28 on empingham dam when i asked a club rider who was with me so its gonna be a couple miles more probs. if we feel like we want to do more then there are other cut throughs or other options.

look forward to seeing you guys! :D
    Ben
  • So what is the intended route?
  • start at whitwell-go through the woods out the other side down the hill- carry on around rutland water like normal intill the point where you carry on going for the peninsula or turn right to do the short run, turn right there carry on like normal intill the nature resurve in egleton and turn right instead of left at its entrance carry on the road till you hit the main road that goes from oakham to uppingham cross it then cross the railway tracks (proper crossing there) and now were on the bridleways, sorry in relation to villages im not sure where they are however i do know we get close to brausdon and riddlington, after all the bridlways we come out at the peak of the hill that is just opposite manton at the main road, cross road and do reamaning section of rutland water like normal.

sorry that probably makes little sense :D i did some of the bridleway routes for my D of E practice, and i know the route well just hard to explain, turn left at the tree etc.. haha
  • I know all those bridleways very well, I might join you just not too sure about Sunday, got a heavy night tonight, if i'm not too hung over i'll join you, otherwise I might see you on those bridleways somewhere.

Have you tried the bridleways that take you over beyond Empingham, across the A1 up to the prison and back across the A1 to Exton and Market Overton?
  • Maza
    Maza Posts: 1
    Hey up,

I've just found this forum. I'm quite new to MTB but would be up for a ride too over the weekends xc routes would be perfect. I'm in Melton so only a few miles away and need to find more decent local routes and riders. Let me know if any of you guys want to go out over the coming weekends and I'll try and join you. I'm not the fastest tho!!

Done the belvior loop a few times over the summer, the viking challenge (which was great) and bits of borough on the hill.

Have a good un tomorrow

Maza
  • well your more than welcome to join the ride were doing tommorow, were meeting outside of rutland cycles in whitwell at 9.30 and i think we will try to leave at about 9.35~9.40ish the more the better! it will be about 30ish miles but you have done the viking challange so you should be absolutly fine :D

puddle rider-cool as said above if you can make it great if not all well no biggy try to come along another week, if possible i think this would be a great weekly ride however i think it would be even better if we could organise it at around 1 PM because im selfish and would like a lie in haha :D but we can organise time changes for next week

look forward to seeing you all! :D