Rant. Evans.

Doombrain
Doombrain Posts: 360
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Just had my scott back from stage one service plus a rear shock service which totalled £190. that i'm not worried about, i don't mind paying for keep the warranty.

what has pissed me off is after getting it ready for the weekend, and after being fed a load of bullshit from the Evans 'engineer' (that's a joke within itself), the front disk calliper had a snapped washer on the CPS bolt and the other was finger tight! WTF

I just have no effin luck with these people, at all. next service is going to be done at a LBS i've found in Shropshire. :twisted:
LOL road riding.

Comments

• surely if they have made mistakes or errors in the servicing then they should fix it free of charge?
  • Doombrain
    sod that, i've already ordered the parts.

rant is of the things to check and double check should be the brakes.
    LOL road riding.
  • agreed. I have found a good LBS that I trust. Would always use him over a big chain.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd look into learning to service it yourself. It's cheaper and you can be sure it's done the way you want it and done right (or you balls it up, but at least it's your own fault :D).

Okay shock servicing is more tricky, but I'd hope that shock servicing alone doesn't come to £190!!

I get my car serviced for around that kind of money! A bike shouldn't cost that much to do.

All that said, I don't know how self servicing affects warranty.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What DK says, but surely if you have a problem with them, you should let them know and give them the chance to rectify before you vent here?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Doombrain
    What’s the point? Another visit to the store, more days without the bike? No thanks.

Next time I’m in the store I’ll quietly let the manager know, maybe get a slight discount on something etc etc.

Like I said, I’ve found a Scott auth'ed LBS for service now. The lesion is you can't trust the workmanship of the bigger chains.

As for doing it myself, the only reason I don't is to keep the frame warranty up.
    LOL road riding.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Couple of services at that price, and you could buy a new frame anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Doombrain wrote:
    What’s the point? Another visit to the store, more days without the bike? No thanks.

Next time I’m in the store I’ll quietly let the manager know, maybe get a slight discount on something etc etc.
    Sadly as Brits we don't complain enough. I'm guilty of that myself. If we don't though, nothing will change. I'd go with mentioning it next time you're in there. Or maybe write to head office if you feel strongly about it.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    What worries me about this is that i wouldn't know what to look for/check after the service.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    After I had a fork replaced under warranty at Edinborough Bicycles on the way home my front calliper either came loose or i noticed it being loose.

And when I first got the bike, the stem came loose on the way home!

When I mentioned it to the guys in the shop they just looked at me with blank faces as if to say "what?".
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Evans managed to feck up the front Axle on my Marzocchi 55's, so the 'click' when up to torque stopped working. Fine when it went in, knackered after collection.

Resolution: They denied all knowledge and I had to pay for a new one.

Made a note to self - never put bike into Evans for even basic work. If you do and they c0ck it up, they'll deny it and you'll have to pay to get it sorted.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Doombrain wrote:

You won't, he could just turn around and say why didn't you pipe up at the time?
  • deadkenny wrote:
    I'd look into learning to service it yourself. It's cheaper and you can be sure it's done the way you want it and done right (or you balls it up, but at least it's your own fault :D).

Okay shock servicing is more tricky, but I'd hope that shock servicing alone doesn't come to £190!!

I get my car serviced for around that kind of money! A bike shouldn't cost that much to do.

All that said, I don't know how self servicing affects warranty.

+1
    Some great demos on youtube, you can learn how to do everything youself fairly easily but as above, personaly I let the pro's do the fork service