Frame and Forks Hardtail Build...

embeddedbob
embeddedbob Posts: 19
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
Im after something fairly tough and generic which my Azonic DS2 and Z1s seems todo well (Ive killed the fork internals twice and a 521 rear wheel but other then that :) ).

An all mountain hardtail that I can go for longer singletrack rides and maybe stop off at some dirt jumps. Im not heavy, just lacking in (biking) technique so need something tough.

Ive already got some wheels and the gears from a build that didnt go ahead (ex729/hope, XT 10 speed, 38T front ring).

Frames:
NS Bikes Surge 2, £247.99, 2.78kg - Heavy but tough and has ISCG 05 and geo that should be good.
Charge Blender Steel, £224.99, 2.77kg - Same as above...

Problem with both these frames is as far as Im aware the long seat post doesnt make it all the way down the seat tube due to the wall thickness changing. This is abit of a pain for longer rides vs desents and freeride. The NS Surge 2 2011 seems ideal from every other aspect.

Other options are On One 456 (£299 2.38kg) Orange P7 (£495 2.7kg) but for the weight of the former, id rather have the two above. The latter is alot more £.

Forks:
The idea of Rock Shox Pike with a remote lockout seemed perfect but as theyre not made anymore maybe something like 'Rock Shox Sektor U-Turn 100mm-140mm 20mm Maxle' would be tough and adjustable enough? I would defeintely want adjustable travel 40mm starting from 100-110 would be ideal. Needs to have a 20mm maxle.

Theres not really any budget if its worth spending more.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice?

Comments

• My NS Surge wasn't great for longer rides... no long travel hardtail is going to be much fun on anything lengthy tbh.

Plus the Surge ran better at 160mm :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    mmmbop or blue pig? P7 is 2.7kg for a med.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    why do you have the on one as £299? It is £164.

I would deffo look at the blue pig or if you can wait the piglet.
  • Dialled Alpine?
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I'm sure the blue pig doesn't have ISCG, though CRC do have it reduced to £220 at the moment.

Personally, I would go for a Cotic BFe....... :wink:

I
    I
    V
  • My NS Surge wasn't great for longer rides... no long travel hardtail is going to be much fun on anything lengthy tbh.

Plus the Surge ran better at 160mm :wink:

Yeah, I think anything I’m looking at will be a compromise for longer rides. I don’t mind putting more effort in. Was it a complete pig, or just more effort?
    supersonic wrote:
    mmmbop or blue pig? P7 is 2.7kg for a med.

Hmm 'blue pig' looks quite nice. After riding a friends steel framed bike Im pretty sure steel is for me :)
    Andy! wrote:
    why do you have the on one as £299? It is £164.

I would deffo look at the blue pig or if you can wait the piglet.

Dunno, must have been on a cached page? Anyway, the piglet looks interesting too.
    ste_t wrote:
    I'm sure the blue pig doesn't have ISCG, though CRC do have it reduced to £220 at the moment.

Personally, I would go for a Cotic BFe....... :wink:

I
    I
    V

I really like that (Cotic BFe).

Have todo some geo comparisons :)