creaking noise from bike

mountain mick
mountain mick Posts: 285
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone help i've been out on the bike now a couple of time and have developed a anoying creaking noise it only happens when i pedal so looking like it's coming from the crank / bottom bracket area. i've stripped down the bb after the last time i went out on it and greased it all up and tightened up right but still it's there.

Any sugguestions Welcome
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
On-One Lurcher 29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bars/headset/seat post/ seat clamp/brake levers and shifters.

keep going through the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Hi MIke - I guess you were the other clicker from yesterday's ride!

I think I've just worked mine out and having stripped the cranks and bottom bracket and re-greased anything then having been convinced it was the headset I think it is actually the seatpost as someone suggested. The reason I discounted this was because I'd greased it. I found it by feeling the click rather than listening.

I would suggest this guide http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... rive-train (as others have said).

And I agree that you just have to keep trying and trying again.

Good luck!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • hi dan

yeah i've not cleaned bike yet but have taken pedals off and cleaned / regreased thinking that might help ( not been done since i got the bike ) and nojoy there. i'll check out the link

cheers dan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • Pedal bearings
    Stem plate bolts (tighten them)
    BB
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    I had a similar creaking noise a while back that only occured when I pedalled. Because of this I was convinced it was the drivetrain. I checked everything on the drivetrain then started looking ellswhere. Eventually I tracked it down to the pivot bolt on the rear suspension. Someone on here speculated that the reason it only happened when I pedalled (as opposed to when I was just standing on the pedals or bouncing up & down on the bike) was because of the forces exherted on the pivot bolt as a result of torque generated from the drive train :? Right! Anyway, a quick turn of the hex bolt on the pivot bolt & my creaking was gone :wink:
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    dogboy73 wrote:
    I had a similar creaking noise a while back that only occured when I pedalled. Because of this I was convinced it was the drivetrain. I checked everything on the drivetrain then started looking ellswhere. Eventually I tracked it down to the pivot bolt on the rear suspension. Someone on here speculated that the reason it only happened when I pedalled (as opposed to when I was just standing on the pedals or bouncing up & down on the bike) was because of the forces exherted on the pivot bolt as a result of torque generated from the drive train :? Right! Anyway, a quick turn of the hex bolt on the pivot bolt & my creaking was gone :wink:

+1 for this. I had an annoying creak for weeks on my enduro. After starting with drivetrain,headset etc etc it turned out to be a creaky pivot bolt that attached the top of shock to the frame. Keep looking - you will find it eventually :wink:
  • Same for me. I had an annoying creak for ages. It also turned out to be the pivot bolt on my Scott Genius. Had it apart, greased it, reassembled it and the creak was gone :D