Any Planet-X SL Pro Carbon owners here?

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi...

Looks like I've made a decision to get the SRAM Red SL Pro Carbon from Planet-X and had a question about the front end.

Seem a few comments about the front end not being the stiffest and even comments about it being a little bit hairy at high speed...
e.g. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... n-10-36958

I'm about 182cm (6ft) and about 85kg (13s4) and have gone for the 'standard options large' if that helps.

Anyone here own the SL Pro Carbon and have comments on the front end?
Some people report this as a problem and others have stated it's a non issue.
Not new to cycling, but new to road bikes (I ride MTB's).

I've seen statements that replacing the front fork with something like the Easton EC70 fork makes resolves any issues. Just trying to get feedback to work out if it's worth doing this from day one, rather than wait until I crash the thing and wish I'd have asked the question!
The EC70's don't appear to be that expensive (£125) - well, not compared to other parts of the bike! (and probably cheaper than a repair bill after a crash!)
Simon

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    this is mine

5121048326_b7899b5f21_z.jpg

and its been up and down a fair few hills incluing down Axe Edge at 56mph and some tight twisting descents without a problem

Suck it and see!

Don't waste £125 !!!
    Colnago Addict!
  • springtide9
    mrdsgs wrote:
    this is mine
    and its been up and down a fair few hills incluing down Axe Edge at 56mph and some tight twisting descents without a problem

Suck it and see!

Don't waste £125 !!!

Nice bike... :)

That's what I was hoping someone would say! Thanks!
    Simon
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    I've ridden down the seaward side of ditching beacon, maxing out at 52.4mph with zero problems, only a few days after switching stems from 140mm :shock: to 100mm. The handling got way better all round.

My frame is an XL if that's any help and I weigh 55kg meaning that I dont exert much pressure/weight on the tyres for grip and still have never had "bike wobble".

Here's mine:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12723017&highlight=planet

Max
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Heres my old Pro Sl
    Not as fancy as the one above but probably nearer your spec.

I am over 14 stone and 6 foot tall. I went for FSA os 99 carbon stem and FSA K force carbon bars on the front, despite only a shimano whr 55O ( 105 wheelset) on it,
    I ve descended at over 50 mph with no problems.

[img][/img]planetx2009002.th.jpg
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Max888 wrote:
    My frame is an XL if that's any help and I weigh 55kg meaning that I dont exert much pressure/weight on the tyres for grip and still have never had "bike wobble"
    You ride an XL (recommended for 6'1" and over) and you weigh 55k? How thin are you?

Edited to sound less insulting
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    You ride an XL (recommended for 6'1" and over) and you weigh 55k? How thin are you?

Edited to sound less insulting

I'm 16, super skinny and 6'2" despite two and a half years of rowing. I gave it up because I realised that I was much better at riding uphill very quickly! :lol:
    I'm not insulted, I get it all the time from everyone. :roll:
  • springtide9
    @Max888 : I think most people dream of being super light as well as tall. ;) I'd be more than happy being 2" taller and a few stone lighter!

Thanks for the additional replies (and positive feedback on the front end)...

I think it's unlikely that this is going to cause me a problem..... as long as I learn to 'walk before I run' on the bike.

It's going to feel very odd riding a road bike... last time was when I was about 12yrs and have been riding BMX's or MTB's even since (and have turned 40)

And as no one has said... "don't buy one... " and have instead showed off your pride and joy... I can only assume that you are all very pleased with the PX.

Now to wait a couple of weeks for the voucher, and then a couple more for the bike (hopefully!)!
    Simon
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I've an SL Pro in XL and haven't noticed any issues with the front so far.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    mine carried me to a top half finish at the national hill climb today. :D
    i swaped out the forks for a easton ec90slx mainly to save weight (and because im a whore for anything easton). really nice bikes and silly light if built right mines under 15lbs as it stands today and when i get my new wheels next year it will be closer to 14lbs.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    Never had any problems with the frame or fork. Buy one!
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • springtide9
    Thanks all.

Looks like I made the decision just in time...
    ... the SL SRAM Red is now showing out of stock:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... n-sram-red

Thanks
    Simon
  • Im also 6ft and 85kg
    I had a large and it was great with no stability problems at all, I fell for the advertising hype and sold the PX to buy a Trek madone... The madone was no better than the planet x.
    The PX is a damn fine bike.
  • TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    Im also 6ft and 85kg
    I had a large and it was great with no stability problems at all, I fell for the advertising hype and sold the PX to buy a Trek madone... The madone was no better than the planet x.
    The PX is a damn fine bike.

Well... I had PX as well, and sold it to buy a Canyon Ultimate CF. Canyon is a better bike, but PX is serious value for the money as well.

Some folks do have an issue with the PX front end flex. I wasn't particularly concerned about it, but as an engineer, I wanted to see if changing the forks to a stiffer one made the bike more solid. It did.

Anyway, even with the original forks (which nowadays seems to be a different one), I have no problem recommending the bike. For the money, it is very difficult to find a better one.
  • Looks like I made the decision just in time...
    ... the SL SRAM Red is now showing out of stock:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... n-sram-red

Yes Sram RED deal is no longer on their website, it is now a SL Pro Carbon Sport for £999, lower spec, you can spec it up the the level of the RED deal but it then appears to cost much more than the £1099 RED offer.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I have one of those:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_CIdj2m-54os/TM4A1 ... G_0250.JPG

Rides like its on rails, never had a problem with it. I'm ~80kg so not particularly light and theres no perceptible flex when coming out of the saddle. No problem on descents either, managed nicely on long hilly rides in the Peak District.
  • springtide9
    notsoblue wrote:
    I have one of those:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_CIdj2m-54os/TM4A1 ... G_0250.JPG

Rides like its on rails, never had a problem with it. I'm ~80kg so not particularly light and theres no perceptible flex when coming out of the saddle. No problem on descents either, managed nicely on long hilly rides in the Peak District.

Looks great in red... and appropriate being SRAM Red spec.
    (I've ordered the same colour, but also pondered over the black)

Sounds like at my level of riding (i.e. road beginner) I think that I'm going to like it... thanks.
    Simon
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    I've got one and it was a bit twitchy until I swopped the stem out to a longer one (100-130) It made more difference than I thought it would.

Could be because the bike I had before was nearly 10 lbs heavier that I noticed such a difference, but no probs now. Regularly hit 70kmh+ on the way back from Box Hill and it's solid as a rock.
  • I have the old paint job version, Size L. I'm 6ft and 12.5-13st. Interestingly compared to most responses I have a 80mm stem as the longer one caused my elbows lock out.

No bother with stability at all. 48.2mph the other week at the 'Tour of the Peaks'.

Built mine up with 105 group set over a period of time. Best investment were the Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels. Very stiff and spin much better than the PX ones it comes with.

Enjoy.
  • The new bike fairy arrived with mine this Monday. One of the last of the cheap SRAM Red-specced bikes. Got it with a red frame and (not specified by me) red Conti tyres. Also changed from initial spec were Fulcrum 7s instead of the Planet X Model B wheels. I splashed out on the FSA K-Light carbon cranks, which are spangly.

It is quite amazingly pretty. Can't really speak for stability as I've only ridden it home from work so far. Compared to my steel-frame commuter, it was like riding with full suspension - I could hardly feel the usual bumps, and this is a route I know intimately. Astounding difference, can't wait to go for a long ride. Sadly it will probably stay on the (yet to be purchased) turbo until the weather improves.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Zachariah wrote:
    Compared to my steel-frame commuter, it was like riding with full suspension - I could hardly feel the usual bumps,.

that's just what a mate of mine said about his new one the other week (SRAM Red too), at first he thought his tyres were not the usual pressure, so smooth was the ride
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Raced on mine last year (see sig), but it has now been demoted to winter bike. Great bike, great price!
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • voxegam wrote:
    Raced on mine last year (see sig), but it has now been demoted to winter bike. Great bike, great price!

Voxegam, you're bikes are always so nice! I was in such a muddle last august, I was torn between a px or a ribble... upon seeing your 'my pimping planet x' thread I went for the Planet x, so thank you!

In response to the OP, I'm 5ft11 and 79kg, I haven't had any problems with the bike and have hit 54mph on four occassions. Currently looking at new wheels for next summer to upgrade my beauty.
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • voxegam wrote:

Voxegam, you're bikes are always so nice! I was in such a muddle last august, I was torn between a px or a ribble... upon seeing your 'my pimping planet x' thread I went for the Planet x, so thank you!

In response to the OP, I'm 5ft11 and 79kg, I haven't had any problems with the bike and have hit 54mph on four occassions. Currently looking at new wheels for next summer to upgrade my beauty.
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    voxegam wrote:

Nice winter bike :)

I have PX SL Pro for racing on, no complaints, very lively IMO. Although never ridden any other carbon frame bikes only ally and 531 and better than both those.
  • springtide9
    Finally, the SL is ordered.... PX SL in red.... and a few upgrades... main being the wheels to the Fulcrum Racing 3's.
    Simon
  • A mate is interested and I am checking them out, but have a question on the chainset and whether a compact (preferably a 34t smaller ring) is speccable.

The SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red is listed as having a 50-36T chainset, which seems a weird combo.
    The SL Pro Carbon Rival is listed as having a 53/39T chainset.

Any got either of these bikes either off the peg or customised who can advise on the chainset ?

Thanks
  • I've got one on order and it's meant to be coming with a FSA Gossamer 50/34 compact. I've noticed that they are now being spec'd with the SRAM 50/36 chainset.