My God. Is this a good Daily Mail article?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -cars.html
The HGV will also be used to educate lorry drivers and cyclists of the dangers of blind spots, especially a cab’s left-hand turn blind spot, a major cause of cyclist fatalities.

Cyclists are also being invited into the cab to see how a driver’s vision can be restricted.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    slightly related but not directly on topic I saw a rack of bikes chained up by mansion house on friday that all had cardboard hangers put on their handlebars telling cyclists the patronising equivalent of "long vehicles have large blindspots m'kay".

not sure just how much they hope to achieve with that kind of campaign. surely they need to be making drivers of aforesaid vehicles more aware that just because they can't see something in their blindspot they should be using common sense and not just jumping to the conclusion 'if i can't see it, it's not my problem'

but then I am biased having been in a car accident where I was in a ford ka passenger seat being pushed up the A13 in a situation identical to this one when the lorry driver decided that in free flowing (but solid) rush hour traffic travelling along at 60 he'd just merge into the middle lane with no warning other than two blinks of his indicator. hitting the rear quarter of the ka pushing us out into the fast lane sideways until we gained traction and went forwards in front of the lorry so he hit us side on fully and pushed us about 150m along the road. sitting 1.5 feet away from a lorry pushing you along the road thinking your about to die is not a great feeling (and a large reason why I'm still nervous in traffic).
    Hat + Beard
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Struggling to see what drivers could do in that case then. Make every left turn reeeeeally reallly slowly ?

Riders have to take responsibility for their own actions - dont do stupid things and then its just that bit safer out there.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    hatbeard wrote:
    slightly related but not directly on topic I saw a rack of bikes chained up by mansion house on friday that all had cardboard hangers put on their handlebars telling cyclists the patronising equivalent of "long vehicles have large blindspots m'kay".

not sure just how much they hope to achieve with that kind of campaign. surely they need to be making drivers of aforesaid vehicles more aware that just because they can't see something in their blindspot they should be using common sense and not just jumping to the conclusion 'if i can't see it, it's not my problem'

Cyclist v Lorries is one of 'those' topics which divides forum opinion.

My take is that while driver training, awareness and cab design have a huge part to play in increasing safety and reducing HGV v Cyclist deaths, cyclists (in common with all road users) need to be made aware of the danger they may be unwittingly placing themselves in.

This guy for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    hatbeard wrote:
    but then I am biased having been in a car accident where I was in a ford ka passenger seat being pushed up the A13 in a situation identical to this one when the lorry driver decided that in free flowing (but solid) rush hour traffic travelling along at 60 he'd just merge into the middle lane with no warning other than two blinks of his indicator. hitting the rear quarter of the ka pushing us out into the fast lane sideways until we gained traction and went forwards in front of the lorry so he hit us side on fully and pushed us about 150m along the road. sitting 1.5 feet away from a lorry pushing you along the road thinking your about to die is not a great feeling (and a large reason why I'm still nervous in traffic).

Bloody hell :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    In regards to the daily mail andf a good article

throw enough shit some of it will stick
    type-monkey.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5