Bottom Brackets!!

Jimbob_no5
Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
My BB on the v10 has finally given up the ghost so now im on the hunt for the cheapest BB for an 83mm shell i can find, is it all possible to get say the XT/SLX BB thats for a 68 - 73mm and then put the 83mm central sleeve off my old BB on the cups or can this not be done??

Thanks

Jimbob
Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
1) Drink is not my friend
2) D-Locking cnuts ;)

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't think that will work the crank's axel length won't be long enough - you'll be on the end of the splines if you keep the intended chainline.
  • Jimbob_no5
    im running saint just now, with 2spacers drive and 1 non drive, chain guide is frame mounted, and the cranks are for the 83mm shell, just trying to do the BB change as cheap as

found these on CRC but it doesn't specify a length, if anyone could enlighten me on this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=53236
    Pinkbike

2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • Chunkers1980
    Should be fine then.
  • Jimbob_no5
    is that a definate yes then? to clarify i can buy a BB thats for a smaller shell and then just take off the central sleeve from my old BB and stick it with the new cups?
    Pinkbike

2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the cups are the same. so it makes Zero difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes,as long as there is enough screw on the cups for the spacers and the axel on the drive side aligns with the non dirve arms where the splines are designed to be.

I really can't see why not.

I wouldn't get the lnked BB though - go SLX or XT - they are prob the same anyhow.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    SLX and XT are the exact same part, yup. And very decent too.
    Uncompromising extremist