First time clipless

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2010 in MTB general
So, just got them yesterday, practising with in the street, OMG they are lethal, I did a wheelie, went back a bit too far..... Guess I shouldn't do wheelies any more :cry:
How badly were you hurt first time going clipless?
And why are they called clipless?
I also had a few of the usual first time falls:
couldn't change down gear fast enough, fell into thorny bush
stopped at my gate, fell on my side
and many more close moments
how ever they were so good on the bumpy sections, I can pedal on them now! were as before I would be going slowly and I wouldn't be able to pedal to go faster, and I'm also bunny hopping higher on them 8)

33916_1708738040976_1313833915_1838827_927947_n.jpg

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They are called clipless because in the old days of toe straps and cage you "clipped in" with SPDs etc there's no cage or strap so "clipless" was born.

Practice makes perfect.After a while it becomes normal you just "clip-out" without thinking.I've been clipless for about 6 years.I've never had a big crash/accident where I haven't managed to clip out 8)
  • Anonymous
    Give them a whirl, but don't feel obligated to stick with them if you don't get on with SPDs.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    mmmmm yesterday was the first time i seriously considered clipless after i buried my flats in my shin mashing in the mud :cry:
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    As ibbo68 said, practice with them and you'll never look back. I've had spd's since they first came out ion the 90's and have never looked back. They make such a great difference to your riding.
  • Anonymous
    mak3m wrote:
    mmmmm yesterday was the first time i seriously considered clipless after i buried my flats in my shin mashing in the mud :cry:
    Good flats with big pins and Five Tens will sort that out, and pretty much most complaints that drive people to go clipless. The only benefit then with clipless is the extra pedal power.

If you are big on climbs, then they're worth it. If you chuck yourself downhill mostly then you just have to see what works, especially if you're likely to come off a lot.
  • Its the same rite of passage for most the first time they clip in.Keep going and you will notice the difference in pedal power. Although agr that they do not suit all, or all styles of riding.

Just remember if you are practising in the street that you need to fall to your left at traffic lights when you cannot unclip to avoid cars that are pulling up next to you..................................................
  • Anonymous
    Rite of passage my arse, it's all personal preference. It's this whole "rite of passage" crap that really makes my blood boil. Quit pretending you're part of some exclusive SPD club because you have some special shoes to ride in, and stop pressuring new riders down that road.
  • Hence my adition of the words 'although agree they do not suit all, or all styles of passge'

Hardly pressurising when the person already has the peddles................................
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    i started clipless last weekend. Not an issue for ages, till i unclipped my left foot and fell to my right. Not done it again!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Eyon wrote:
    i started clipless last weekend. Not an issue for ages, till i unclipped my left foot and fell to my right. Not done it again!

Yet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    some people just dont get on with them.... Personally I love them. but many dont. I'v never had a bad spd related accident....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I don't understand why I am the ONLY person who has multi release cleats?

You have ALL of the benefits of having SPD's with NONE of the dangers of falling of without unclipping.

SPD's to me are awesome, because of the above - but I respect people who don't want/like to use them.

I ride XC - and love horrible technical uphills and fast flowing downhill.

For me they rock.

P.S Single release cleats are madness.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    LjStronge wrote:
    I don't understand why I am the ONLY person who has multi release cleats?

You have ALL of the benefits of having SPD's with NONE of the dangers of falling of without unclipping.

SPD's to me are awesome, because of the above - but I respect people who don't want/like to use them.

I ride XC - and love horrible technical uphills and fast flowing downhill.

For me they rock.

P.S Single release cleats are madness.

your not the only person, you wally! :wink: but they aren't totally fool proof.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Just used my SPDs fro the first time properly last week - on a night ride and then at the Sherwood Enduro. I couldn't have managed the 40miles. A few wobbly moments, I'm nearlly used to them now :)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Epic picture win.
  • Ive been using SPD for years now love the way they corner, pedal and jump.

I would say have them on very loose for the first few times out just in case you need to dab a foot out.

A good pair of pedals and shoes make all the dereference, i use the Shimano dx pedals and shoes a great combo

Cheers Adam
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like the documentary there, almost photorealistic.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have SPD's and yes I've had many a "oh shit, im still clipped in.. crash" moments..

But overall i think they are really good, when im going downhill is a little scary being clipped in so might get some SPD's with the flat pedal bit to help with uncliping and staying in control..

Epic picture BTW..
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Im fine going downhill clipped in, its slow speed stuff that gets me, particularly very slow technical climbs which i do a lot of. For that sort of riding i went back to flats but when the weather is perma-dry im going back to clipless for trail centers.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    deadkenny wrote:
    Good flats with big pins and Five Tens will sort that out, and pretty much most complaints that drive people to go clipless.

are you seriously suggesting my cheap generic flat and trainer combo is the problem............oh wait :wink:

five tens on my xmas list, seems to be apathy stopping me getting a decent set of flats but if i get some dh shoes i will be forced to invest :D
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Its the same rite of passage for most the first time they clip in.Keep going and you will notice the difference in pedal power. Although agr that they do not suit all, or all styles of riding.
    Rite of passage my ars*, it's all personal preference. It's this whole "rite of passage" crap that really makes my blood boil. Quit pretending you're part of some exclusive SPD club because you have some special shoes to ride in, and stop pressuring new riders down that road.

Holy crap mcgee, I think you misinterpreted that post. Slowslow is talking about falling over on your side while stationary as being the rite of passage for starting out on clipless. Not about using clipless peddles as part of an elite world.

Chill Winston.
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    Just to let you guys know, if you don't have clipless you are missing out on a lot!
  • Why thank you. I did say that.

don't think it was anything personal though.

Obviously he has not had the joy of the junction/traffic light tumble........ :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Just to let you guys know, if you don't have clipless you are missing out on a lot!
    Only getting up hills quicker / more efficiently (not my thing anyway). Not missing much going DH (except less pain when going OTB and having the bike come after you ;)).
  • hennez
    hennez Posts: 255
    I've ridden clipless for a few years now, havent had any problems until the other day, got me wheel stuck between some rocks on a technical bit on a night ride trying out eggbeaters for the first time after having used shimanos and didn't get my right foot out until it was too late!!! :evil: :evil: Bent my wheel in half. luckily I had my lefty (they are good for some things) so that i could walk my bike rather than carry it. the wheel would have been hitting the side of the fork otherwise :shock:
    My bike takes me places that school never could