Zesty or Attack Trail????????.

swiftyx2
swiftyx2 Posts: 203
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,
Due to some tosser stealing my 4 month old Wolfridge I am now looking to get a new bike. I have been looking at the Zesty and the Attack Trail?, I know they are different in some ways but having had the Wolfridge and loving the it I found it a bit of a struggle on the ups but awesome on the downs. The Zesty is supposed to do both very well. The daredevil in me is saying Marin but my sensible side is saying Zesty due to me not getting any younger?.
I ride the trail parks but do a lot of riding in Wales also.

Anyone out there got either one or tried them?.

Thanks for reading.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
Marin Attack Trail 6.8
Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
Trek 6500
Bianchi Carbon

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I've got the Zesty 314, it's really good for descending and is a rocket on the climbs. I'd definitely reccomend it but it needs a test ride to see if it suits. I've not tried it on any really gnarly stuff but it seems like it can take whatever is thrown at it.
  • swiftyx2
    Thanks Paul,

That's why I am turning the way of the Zesty!!!!, have you changed much on yours? Here tyres are a bit naff?, how do you find the wheels strong enough or replaced.

Thanks for info any pics?.

Steve.
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The wolfridge/attack trail is just mental on the downs. Nothing will touch it, and still climb as well.
  • I have a Wolf ridge and it climbs fine! I do on the really steep climbs wind the forks down when I remember which does help. My main issue is I can't get it to go down as fast as I would like, but that is as much to do with my lack of talent/skills/minerals. Just out of interest, which tyres did you run with it? As a tyre change could sort your problems?
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    i have a 514 zesty and its quick both up and down. iv rode it down fort bill few times and it handled it really well. id test ride both if possible
  • Paul 8v
    Swiftyx2 wrote:
    Thanks Paul,

That's why I am turning the way of the Zesty!!!!, have you changed much on yours? Here tyres are a bit naff?, how do you find the wheels strong enough or replaced.

Thanks for info any pics?.

Steve.

The only things I've changed are the boyzone spec white grips and saddle is soon to be changed too, just not a practical colour and it looks mincy!
    The wheels seem to be fine, no problems with them touch wood, the front tire is fine as it's a nice big beefy one (2.4 Mountain king). The ones that people seem to have a problem with are the rears (race king) but I've not had a problem, it rolls really well and is grippier than the tread would suggest, I've not even had many problems on wet roots. For extreme filth you might want to swap it but for dry or normal mud it's a great tyre, climbing in the saddle up steep wet slopes was fine.
    The bike really does give you massive confidence and it descends nearly as well as my mates big travel Yeti rig but climbs ten times better.
  • Anonymous
    10 Times. Better, WOW!
    Does that mean if there's a Hill that takes him an hour to get up, your zesty can climb it in 6 minutes?
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Wolfridge/Attack trail is for bigger hitting, while Zesty can do the same but is more XC orientated. Don't know why, but on straight line trails Zesty seems to run away from Wolfridge, but on corners Wolfridge does feel much sharper to steer than Zesty. Maybe it's because my riding buddies bike has got maxxle's throughout I don't know but this 2 bikes are slightly different.

Depends where you usually ride, I would preffer Wolfridge on rock gardens type of trails and Zesty on smoother style trails. Zesty does cope with rougher rock gardens quite well, but not as impressive as Wolfridge IMO. But climbing wise Wolfridge does rely a lot on ProPedal to cure the bob, while Zesty is just superb at it.

Comparing Zesty314 vs Wolfridge6.9 think it would be very tough choice to make. On paper Wolfridge has got more bells'n'whistles while Zesty is a stunning looker.

To confuse you even more Wolfridge is like a go-kart, while Zesty is very fast cabriolet cruiser.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Zesty is a Horst link design, which generally pedal like crap without propedal.
    Wolfridge is a VPP in a similar vein to the DWlink, or Santacruz's, well... VPP.

DWLink and SC bikes are claimed by many to have the best pedalling action, without relying on the shock's low frequency damping/ProPedal.

Now, whilst each bike will behave differently under riders of different weights and styles, there is no actual reason to believe that the WolfRidge is an inferior pedalling machine to the Zesty. And the claims that it relies heavily on ProPedal are unfounded. It makes use of some serious anti-squat early on in the travel, which reduces through the stroke so that bigger hits produce less pedal kickback. Given the right rider, that alone will produce a stable palform.
    There is also some significant chaingrowth again towards the very end of the stroke, and I believe that is to aid in resistance to bottoming out. The 140mm on offer certainly feels like a hell of a lot more anyway.

However, the Zesty is lighter, which of course helps.

I think the choice to be made is whether you want a nice lightweight bike that will take a little abuse (zesty), or if you want something altogether more mental, capable of shrugging off huge impacts, but is still a capable, although somewhat heavyweight climber (wolfridge)
    Where do your priorities lie?
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    If you like the Wolfridge and Attack trail....and errrrhem yor mention that yout not getting any younger...why not look at the Marin Mount Vision.....120mm so a tad less than the zesty...it decends brilliantly and climbs just as well...it has won best trail bike twice and is more than enough for UK riding (as long as your not doing 6ft drops etc...)
    It could be the best compromise....

Also read up on the Zesty's as they have had quite a few issues this year with frames snapping on weld points....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Anonymous
    The mount vision is capable of a lot more than most people give it credit for. And so is the wolfridge.
    I mean, if the wolfridge is being ridden at the Crankworks slopestyle event, you know it's tough as old boots.
  • Pudseyp
    My Marin loves mountains.......and I love my Marin
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I went from a lighter weight full sus to the Marin and noticed it a little sluggish on the ups.

But f3ck me its a different world going down, the back end is amazing. On the old bike I would not hit things due to worring about the bike. Now I know I will run out of bottle before the bike lets me down.
  • Paul 8v
    10 Times. Better, WOW!
    Does that mean if there's a Hill that takes him an hour to get up, your zesty can climb it in 6 minutes?

Yes

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exaggerate 8)
  • I shall throw a shovel in the works with the suggestion of the Mondraker Foxy R

Better looking than both and has excellent ride characteristics...
  • Anonymous
    Paul 8v wrote:
    So, you're claiming that saying a bike is ten times better at climbing is sarcasm now?
    I think you need to read that wikipedia article yourself.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:
    So, you're claiming that saying a bike is ten times better at climbing is sarcasm now?
    I think you need to read that wikipedia article yourself.

I meant sarcasm that I said yes to your comment, It was a figure of speech that it climbs ten times better, not a billy big bollocks bullshit claim. You know when someone says something is for example "A million times better" they don't really mean a million yeah? :lol:
    I know you're game, all the kids are back at school, stop trying to wind the adults up, we all know you're half on this forum because you like bikes and half because you like to try and piss people off... 8)
  • Pudseyp
    I do like my Marin....though have ridden the Foxy R and it is a great bike and a good looker...some bargians to be had on the 2010's as well.....
  • Anonymous
    I only annoy the morons. Of which you are a humourless one.
  • Paul 8v
    And you smell of Aubergines, now get back to work :wink:
  • Anonymous
    At least I don't smell of elderberries. And my wife is not a hamster.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of silly persons!
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Actually having just read through some of the previous posts, the Marin Mount Vision was mentioned, and actually that is not a bad idea, as the new 2011 models are pushed up to 140mm travel platform like the wolf ridge is/was while the new attack trail is 150mm. Could be the winner??
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    I shall throw a shovel in the works with the suggestion of the Mondraker Foxy R

Better looking than both and has excellent ride characteristics...

I am trying to decide ( on paper) between the Mondraker Foxy R, Zesty 314 & Ghost AMR7500.
    Having read lots of 'personal' reviews of the Zesty i would welcome your thoughts on the Mondraker ??
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Marin, better warranty.
  • swiftyx2
    Thanks for all the replies folks,

Spent the weekend reading all I can find about them, searching for best prices and asking myself the same question over and over shall I get the Marin as the Wolfridge was ace and let me get away with murder, (saved my ass when took the wrong line on many occasion !).
    Checking specs the Zesty is not much lighter than the Marin Attack Trail?.
    See talking myself into the let's go have a" blast and some major fun " with the perfectly named Marin!.

Thanks again folks.

Steve
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • Pudseyp
    Good choice old bean !! :D