More locking advice

bobnudd
bobnudd Posts: 15
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi Everyone,

So the other day somebody tried to steal my bike and I wondered if some collective wisdom could be shared on the best way to lock your bike up without carrying around 20kg of metal on your back..

So, I ride a Giant Rapid which has a pretty chunky frame to lock up and at the moment use a kryptonite Evolution mini d lock (for my rear wheel and frame) and kryptonite kryptoflex cable to secure the front wheel, looped round something immovable and then back into the d lock.

Someone tried to cut the cable which would mean that they could walk off with the bike and then try and get the d lock off at their leisure. It seems obvious now that this isn't the best way to do things, but what does everyone else do?

Comments

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Cant be bothered with all that, whilst I have a good main lock I rely on pinheads, fitted properly they are very good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pinhead-Tri-Pack- ... 4aa55eaf73
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Hi Bob,
    I use a Grannit 54 x plus ( 30cm ) through the frame, rear wheel and the nearest stout metal pole/railing/bike stand. Also I put an alarmed padlock on the D shackle so if it is as much as touched, it screams loudly. My bike is a Hardrock which has slowly morphed into a narrow tyred, butterfly barred, front n back panniered, mud guarded tourer. All three q/r spindles are locked and can only release if the bike is up turned.
    As the bike isnt the lightest in the world, the weight of the lock, clamped to the frame when riding, isnt that noticeable, but if you are a lightweight speed fiend it could be a problem.
    The best anti theft device around though is to lock it near to any outdoor cafes where people sit watching the world go by. Scumbags dont like being watched.
  • This thread has the best advice: http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

Both your evo and cable can be cut very easily.

Worth reading the advice on how best to lock the bike as well - basically you want to leave as little space as possible in a u-lock to make it harder to break it with a bottle jack.

Bear in mind, though, that even the best locks won't withstand a portable angle grinder for more than a few minutes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    best bet. get insurance and get what they say you should have. If some scrot really wants your bike and you always leaving in the sameish area they will come prepared and will take what they want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    At the end of the day no locking mechanism is infallible, and if someone comes with the right tools they can steal bike.

By the sounds of it your lock successfully resisted an attempt at the theft - great! It's worked as a deterrent!

Replace the cable, make sure your bike is properly security marked, and move on. Possibly consider where you lock it, and make sure it's visible enough to reduce the likelihood of a protracted attempt.

If the lock is too tough the thieves will either destroy the bike trying to remove it (tricky to claim on insurance), or they'll just wait for you to unlock it for them.....

Rufus.
  • Thanks for all your suggestions everyone - much appreciated. It is insured though but I don't want to have to go through the claim process etc, and more importantly it is on the cycle to work scheme and I don't want to be paying for something I don't have! I will check out that thread on lfgss as well.