Lube Drying time ?

Liam 2010
Liam 2010 Posts: 101
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I've recently purcahsed my new Boardman team HT and I'm going to give it a good old ride today. I have lubed the chain, but I was wondering how long lube needs to be left to soak in, before I should ride it.

Some instructions say it doesn't need anytime to dry, but other shops have told me it needs a few hours to be sure.

Which one of these are true, or is it just personal preference?

Liam

Comments

• I don't leave any time. Just put a small ammount on and wipe off exces or it will attract mud. Make sure to claen drivetrain and lube after ride as well.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    i usually lube if ive had a particularly muddy ride and give the bike an extra good clean, imo if its wet lube, 2 mins or 2 days its going to attract crap

when i can be bothered to strip the chain right back switching to dry
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lube -> Ride. Nuff said.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    It depends on the lube. Most wax based lubes need to be applied a couple of hours before your ride and left to harden whereas wet lube you simply apply and ride.

At this time of the year you should be using wet lube.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I run a two chain regime, so one soaks for a day or two in gear oil, then gets wiped over thoroughly before going on the bike so there is just a trace of oil on the outside of the chain.
    "Coming through..."
  • Thanks for the help guys.

I'm using muc-off to clean my chain afterwards. Muc-off will be okay won't it?

There won't be any adverse effects to the chain or bike?

Liam