Decodiong Marzocchi Fork Serial Number...

TuckerUK
TuckerUK Posts: 369
edited November 2010 in MTB general
According to Marzocchi, the part of the serial number that says something like 'T08D1214' relates to a build date of December 14th 2008, but by any chance does the T mean Thailand (where a 2008 model would of have been built of course)?

By way of proof, does anyone have a 2006 or older fork that shows a I for Italy?
"Coming through..."

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is your fork?

what year is it?

did it come on the bike or another bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TuckerUK
    The question does not pertain to my fork, just to generic Marzocchi serial number coding. But I'm most interested in 2003 onwards MX series forks should that make a difference.

My current data shows OE fork production was switched to the Sun Tour facility starting in 2004, with all production moved between 2007-2008.

The current question still stands however.

Thanks.
    "Coming through..."
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    On the back of my Z1CR's from 2000 it say Z1 666040
  • TuckerUK
    Thanks RR, maybe the serial number format I quoted is ONLY post Thailand production then?

More data needed please other Marzocchi owners.
    "Coming through..."
  • nicklouse
    again it depends on the fork. when things moved for the OE forks things changed but prior to that there was just a number.

so your 2003 fork will just have a number on it.

all my forks from 2002 to 2007 are just numbers. and i dont believe the 2007 were Taiwan made. (well i know they were not).

hence my question about specific. If you just want general infos Mail Marzocchi.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • TuckerUK
    Out of interest, how do you know 2007 MXs weren't Taiwan made? Any chance of a source?

I could of course contact Marzocchi every time I want to age a repainted second hand 'Bomber' fork of unknown origins, but my original hope was that there would be some way to decode the serial number.
    "Coming through..."
  • nicklouse
    TuckerUK wrote:
    Out of interest, how do you know 2007 MXs weren't Taiwan made? Any chance of a source?

I never said that.
  • TuckerUK
    Ah OK, my bad, not very clear there.

Interestingly though, the change from Marzocchi ETA to SunTour LO cartridge happened starting 2008 MY, so maybe 2007 are Italian?

It's a shame I can't locate a 2007 parts diagram, I have all the previous years (confirming internal parts numbers are identical), along with a 2008 MY where the parts have changed.
    "Coming through..."
  • nicklouse
    so again what are you REALLY wanting to know?

spit it out and I will see what i can find.

you say Marz MX. which there are quite a few, and they can be coil or air and with ETA or not or.....
    then you say Marz ETA that aint a fork that is a lock out (travel reducer/lockout)

So do you have Marz. MX ETA,s and you are trying to check what year they are?

Are they coil or Air?

Or????????????????????????????????????????

For general ideas again Ask Marz.

Marz were having stuff made in Taiwan before 2008.
  • TuckerUK
    Again, how to accurately date possibly 'repainted second hand' '2003 onwards MX series forks'. Not MY forks, ANY forks!

Edit: Actually, that's not really true, just how to identify the 'Made in Italy' cut off point. Most of the years are easy to tell apart visually (fork crown, caliper mount, etc.)

Regardless of the type of 2003 - 2006 (maybe 2007) MX, they all share common parts, take the coil/s out of a coil spring, it's an air fork. Add a coil or coils to an air MX, it's now a coil MX. Add an ETA cartridge one side, it's an ETA fork.

As I tried to get across in my previous posting, the ETA system is cartridge placed in the fork leg, replaced by the SunTour LO cartridge.

Yes Marzocchi were having stuff made in Taiwan in 2004, as I posted earlier.

As I'm really just repeating myself here I think it's safe to assume you have nothing further to contribute, thank you very much for your help so far.
    "Coming through..."
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    TuckerUK wrote:
    More data needed please other Marzocchi owners.

It would be nice to know why.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500