Fireworks thrown at cyclists

electric_blue
electric_blue Posts: 195
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Am I the first to get hit by a firework this season? It happened yesterday commuting home - approaching the Woolwich Ferry roundabout there's a raise parkland area to the right - completely shrouded in darkness so you can;t even see who the firework lobber was. I had a few lobbed at me last year - all missed compeltely wide of the mark. However they seem to have done their homework this year and taken my forward motion into consideration. The firework hit the bottom of my front wheel, in fact I think it might have hit just in front of the wheel and I drove over it. Caused no harm though. but I am a bit worried about passing this point this evening.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Hello! I've been here over a month now.

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    edited October 2010
    mentioned it in another thread but I was almost hit by a bottle rocket that was shot along a side street aimed directly towards a single lane section of the A2 at the bottom of blackheath road as I was running across the end of the road. couldnt see a thing the other end of the street so no idea if it was yoofs or some gormless tw*t from the flat back there putting on a 'display' in the carpark and it got tipped over.

either way it scared the absolute bejeesus out of me.

edit: here to be precise... http://goo.gl/maps/3u1Z
    Hat + Beard
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    You Londoners have it rough!

Hope no one gets hurt!
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    gtvlusso wrote:
    You Londoners have it rough!

Hope no one gets hurt!

sadly hailing from basildon, essex I can say with some authority that it's not a problem that's contained solely within the capital
    Hat + Beard
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Not seen it in Brizzle - may get a bottle of zider or a bottle of pi$$ thrown at you!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    happens here too...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Water balloons in summer, fireworks around the start of November, and general abuse at all other times...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Well I've decided I'm getting the train home tonight - call me a coward if you like. General abuse or even eggs I can deal with, but fireworks are something else.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I must live in an oasis of civility.
  • Zachariah wrote:
    I must live in an oasis of civility.

If I lived in Greenwich I might think that - seems that all the abuse I get is in Woolwich, Welling or Bexleyheath.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Not seen it in Brizzle - may get a bottle of zider or a bottle of pi$$ thrown at you!

I got egged last year. Well, to be more specific the Lexus I was riding past got egged last year, but I suspect the target was me...
    Rules are for fools.
  • Why they don't ban the sale of fireworks to private individuals is beyond me.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    They'll take my sparklers from my cold, dead hands!
  • Zachariah wrote:
    They'll take my sparklers from my cold, dead hands!

:lol:
  • Waddlie wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I got egged last year. Well, to be more specific the Lexus I was riding past got egged last year, but I suspect the target was me...

That's the first time I've ever heard of a Lexus in the service of a cyclist. I have a theory that the most unlikely thing you're ever going to see is a Lexus with a cycle carrier. They simply stand for different things. Still, the bigger they get, the easier it is to hide behind.

Hmm, Woolwich, Welling and Bexleyheath...yes, I think it's down to Shooter's Hill screening that part of London from almost every advance in civilisation since the 10th century. Though it could be earlier.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I used to live in Salford (was at uni there and stayed for a few years after that) and from september onwards, the fireworks came from all directions. the students were primary targets but anything else that moved were a bonus, even now when I ride through there occaisionally I am very wary
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Where are the Elf and Safety Brigade when you need them.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    gtvlusso wrote:
    There's a difference?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I drove to work yesterday, just so the little sh1ts didn't have a moving target. A cyclist full of flashing lights makes great target practice for the local scroats.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I had one thrown near me on thursday. Not sure if it was at me. I hope not. Fortunately, it didn't go off properly, but there was a small bang and a flash in the road about three metres from me. It was round the corner from my home, and I think I'm the only cyclist who comes up that way (my partner uses a different road). Flippin annoying.
    Riding on 531
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Had a banger thrown at me last year from a moving car while I waited at a T-junction. It isn't a nice experience.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Am I the first to get hit by a firework this season? It happened yesterday commuting home - approaching the Woolwich Ferry roundabout there's a raise parkland area to the right - completely shrouded in darkness so you can;t even see who the firework lobber was. I had a few lobbed at me last year - all missed compeltely wide of the mark. However they seem to have done their homework this year and taken my forward motion into consideration. The firework hit the bottom of my front wheel, in fact I think it might have hit just in front of the wheel and I drove over it. Caused no harm though. but I am a bit worried about passing this point this evening.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I ride this route each day what time of the evening was it?