Tour de France 2012

Bernardus
Bernardus Posts: 136
edited November 2010 in Pro race
(because it's never too early to start talking about the Tour)

According to Sporza the 2012 Tour de France will start in Liege. Possibly with a LBL-esque stage.

The last time the GT peloton visited Liege, this happened

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    That'll be an interesting start - some selective terrain there; if not neutralized this time......

Sporza has a bit more information already
    - Start with old fashioned prologue in Liege (no details, but a little tour of Cote St Nicolas would be nice)
    - the first stage to be Liege - Seraing, basically a loop; probably Ardennes - Seraing is after the Roche au Faucons descent
    -2nd stage from Vise (Liege area again) to Tournai. :P which is just across the border from Roubaix!!
  • So an Ardennes style stage followed by a Flanders style stage.

I bet Rick's stuck to his keyboard!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    FJS wrote:
    That'll be an interesting start - some selective terrain there; if not neutralized this time......
    Sporza has a bit more information already
    - Start with old fashioned prologue in Liege (no details, but a little tour of Cote St Nicolas would be nice)
    - the first stage to be Liege - Seraing, basically a loop; probably Ardennes - Seraing is after the Roche au Faucons descent
    -2nd stage from Vise (Liege area again) to Tournai. :P which is just across the border from Roubaix!!
    I’ve read different …
    - no prologue but right into Liege-Seraing stage,
    - second stage Vise (or Huy) to Ypres,

What else I’ve read …
    - possible stage town for a Ardennes climbs day in first week – Roeselare,
    - Tournai to Ornies might be used for TTT
    - likely later stage will go to or start from Gerardmer (Vosges), possibly from there to Nevers,
    - candidates for stage town in Alps - Châtel, La Toussuire, Valmorel for mountain finish (has best chances), La Léchère and/or Risoul,
    - candidates for stage town in as Tour heads SW – Lyon, Annonay (may defer to 2013), Aix en Provence,
    - route will likely go through the department of Aveyron (area around Millau and Rodez),
    - in Pyrenees, Col de Peyresourde may be included (centenary)
    - Tour will possibly go to Tolosa, Pamplona or Jaca in Spain,
    - last stage in Pyrenees might start in Spain and go to ski resort of Pierre Saint-Martin, SW of Pau,
    - last TT will be on penultimate day, maybe within striking distance of Paris, following a transfer the previous day from the South
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    So an Ardennes style stage followed by a Flanders style stage.

I bet Rick's stuck to his keyboard!

I'll keep the champange corked untill it's confirmed.... :wink: