Commuting again :D , need advice on good quality clothing

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
I'm starting work again on Monday after 6 months unemployed. Now I do have a motorbike to get to and from work, but am hoping not to be lazy and cycle as often as I can. I ride throughout winter anyway, with club runs and personal rides I try to ride over 100miles a week, regardless of weather.
What I need is some decent clothing to commute in, that I will be using for clubs runs, etc. I fancy some Castelli or Assos kit because, well, why would you not? I will need longs, overshoes, jacket (I wouldn't ride in rain too often cos I'd ride the motorbike) and gloves.

Anyone got any advice, personal recommendations, etc? I'm 5'11", 30" waist, and built like a climber. Hope that helps....

p.s. Thank you all in advance.
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You don't need to stretch to Assos or Castelli e.g. Gore make some excellent kit. Their Phantom jacket is brilliant. Will certainly keep you warm. I can get away with only a baselayer under this when it's cold, although out of habit, I end to wear a SS club jersey, too.

PX overshoes are very good - much better than Endura.

For longs, I wear Sugoi fleece-lined running tights under my bib shorts. Toasty warm.

Gloves: hmm, I need to get some new ones, so can't really offer useful comments.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."