Deliberate piles of glass in cycle lane, Mitcham Rd, Croydon

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
As I was cycling in this morning along Mitcham Rd, Near Lombard Roundabout I noticed a pile of broken glass in the cycle lane so I went around it.

Then I noticed another, about 100 yards further along... Then another... All in all there were probably between 10 and 20 piles spread out along that section of road, all in the cycle lane, all the same type. The glass was a mixture (some green, some brown, some clear, all crushed up into small pieces) and it looked to me as if someone had deliberately placed them there as the different colours in one pile mean it's not a simple smashed bottle.

I'll report this to the police on 0300 123 1212 and also to Croydon Council. If anybody else cycles along there (a) be careful and (b) it might help if you also report it. There are bound to be CCTV cameras along there and hopefully the police might review any footage and see if the person was stupid enough to be identifiable on the picture. Maybe they even did it from their car, who knows.

Anyway, just letting everyone know so you can avoid the glass.

Comments

• Jamey
    Croydon Council amazingly helpful and understanding so hopefully will get cleaned soon.

Now to call the Met.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Which way? i'll be going east on there tonight. i don't normally cycle in that cycle lane. a. because it's right next to parked cars and b. there is so much glass in it! :lol:
  • Jamey
    This was going west (towards Mitcham) but I haven't been east yet so maybe the person that did it also covered the other side of the road.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    That's pretty close to Cedars Ave, where I've seen lots of broken glass spread out. I put it down to the amount of fly-tipping that happened there, but the regularity suggests otherwise.
    Riding on 531
  • Jamey
    I suppose it could be something less malicious... Maybe an overly-full recycling truck kept spilling glass at regular intervals or something.

It's just that they were all little circular piles, all dead centre in the middle of the cycle lane, all evenly spread out.

It didn't seem very random.
  • My commute here in South Wales is plagued by glass deliberately strewn across cycle paths, by who knows who. Unfortunately it stays where it is for a long time. As I commute alot in the dark, I have to keep a mental map of where it lies, some sections I have to forgo the cycle path completely and take to the roads, to be on the safe side of avoiding punctures. It would appear that there are mean minded people out there who can't let others have enjoyment.
    k.curtis
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Unbelievable. Some people are just t***s.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Jamey wrote:
    I suppose it could be something less malicious... Maybe an overly-full recycling truck kept spilling glass at regular intervals or something.

It's just that they were all little circular piles, all dead centre in the middle of the cycle lane, all evenly spread out.

It didn't seem very random.

If it's all crushed and mixed colours, it does sound like glass collected for recycling, but the circular piles don't sound like accidental spillage. Glad the council are clearing it up pronto.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jamey
    Update.

Most of the piles cleared but still plenty of random shards leftover so be careful everyone.