Confirmation needed - am I going for the right bike?

PompeyScot
PompeyScot Posts: 4
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

After a long break from cycling, I have got a quotation for a bike via the Cycle to Work scheme. Want to get fitter, drop a few pounds and get back into cycling again, as well as have easy travel to and from work (I don't drive, so the wife drops me off and picks me up on her way to and from work). My plan is to have some short rides out during the winter months and then, once the weather picks up, to start going to and from work as well, build things up slowly. Route to work is about a ten mile round trip, with a few inclines both ways.

I don't know a great deal about bikes, but have been reading up on makes, models etc and my quotation, after advice from the helpful man in the shop, is for a Giant Escape 4. Bike with mudguards attached is just short of £350 (have already got a helmet), but I only pay £205 through the Cycle to Work over 18 months.

Just want confirmation or comments really, is the bike I am getting suitable? I very nearly just thought about going for one of the cheap Halfords bikes, but thought, no, if I'm going to do this then go for a decent bike (and, this was before I looked at the details for the Cycle to Work).

Cheers all. :D

Comments

• It's easy to get hung up about kit, but especially when you're starting out it's more important to just do it.

Any hybrid in that sort of price range from the major manufacturers is going to be a decent bike - the rest is going to be down to you riding it. My £300 2002 Claud Butler is pretty worn out now and I'm looking around at options to replace it for my 15-miles each way commute. I'll probably spend more than I need to but it's easy to justify now that I'm putting the miles in. But I've come to realise that it's unlikely to make much difference to how quickly or how much enjoyment I get from commuting and leisure riding by bike.

Have to say one of the best accessories is a bike computer (or a smartphone-based GPS logger). Monitoring your speeds and distances and the improvements as I cycle more is a real incentive for me to just get out there and do it.
  • Thanks for the advice Pessable, I'll have a look at the computers.

I've been having a good look round the forums here and picking up lots of handy tips (as well as having a look at all of Gaz's videos on the commuting clips thread!) I didn't want to spend out too much on a bike, as I've not got any great intentions of going out on really long rides but, on the flip side, I wanted one good enough so I'd feel comfortable with it and it's quality and it would last me a good while, so this one felt like a good fit.

Can't wait to get started!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Well done on getting started at this time of year.

Yep, the Giant will do you fine. But, be prepared to want to upgrade next year. That's not because your bike will no longer be any good, but because you just will. :)

+1 for buying a cycle computer.

And make sure you get some decent lights. Have a look at the Smart range on CRC.

In this weather, make sure you clean your brake pads and wheel rims after each ride. They'll collect lots of guff in this weather and wregular cleaning will reduce wear.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I was in a similar position about 18 months ago and got a Giant Escape M0. It was a great bike for commuting and it really got me into cycling. You've done the right thing getting mudguards from the off too, I learnt the hard way after a few soggy bums! I agree with what others have said too about a computer and decent lights, preferably 2 lights on both front and rear. Oh and as much bright, reflective clothing and accessories as you can manage!
    So in my opinion definately the right bike. Enjoy it :D
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Not all halfords bikes are cheap and nasty the carrera and boardman bikes offer cracking value for money with a spec that matches and often surpasses similarly priced bike by the main suppliers.
    they also get very good reviews by their owners and in cycling mags etc.

Of course the bike you have chosen looks great !!
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Thanks for the advice and tips all, much appreciated.

Am building up a list of equipment and things I want to get. Two lights on both front and back sounds like a good suggestion, so will heed that.

It's amazing how quickly you get the bug. A few days ago I was nervous with the thought of getting back on the road again, but now I'm in the process of getting my bike, joined this forum, looking at posts and videos to make sure I know as much as I can and get on as much advice as possible, now I can't wait to get going :D