pedals off

nasti
nasti Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Connot get these bloody pedels off. I know which way i should be turning but no joy. Tried Wd40, wrench and allen key nothing. I am 14 stone so dont think its a power issue. Any tips plz

Comments

• Good quality pedal spanner with a tubing extender slipped over it, and at least one other pair of hands.

I use grease and anti-seize compound when fitting pedals.

And ... are you sure you are undoing them the right way? The LH pedal has reverse threads to the conventionally threaded RH pedal.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wot he said. You just need a very secure grip on the pedal, best achieved with a decent pedal spanner, and a long enough lever.

An allen key is nowhere near long enough. With a hex bit in a socket wrench you still need to apply a lot of grunt.

Give them a liberal soaking with WD40 and try again after several hours.

If you do get them off, remember the advice about grease or copperslip on the threads when refitting or replacing them
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Try arranging it so you're squeezing the spanner and the crank arm together. it's a lot easier to get a controlled amount of force that way rather than having everything free swinging and wobbling around
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    What pedals are they? Pedal spanners are 15mm, and I've found that only Campag and Shimano put decent flats on their axles at that dimension. Look pedals (I have had only pre-Keo pedals, but all those I've had are similar) need a thin adjustable because they fall short of 15mm between surfaces. Maybe some of the many other pedal manufacturers doa decent job too, but I haven't used theirs. Just know that a 15mm pedal spanner on one of the Look pedals I've indicated will do some harm.
  • I'm probably going to get shot down in flames here but put your spanner on the pedal and hit the end of the spanner with a rubber mallet. Shocking it will loosen it.

Grease the threads before replacing this time
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    I'm probably going to get shot down in flames here but put your spanner on the pedal and hit the end of the spanner with a rubber mallet. Shocking it will loosen it.

Grease the threads before replacing this time

That's a perfectly viable technique you just need to ensure you have very good quality tight fitting spanners as if not you will probably tear the flat faces off the pedals and then you are really buggered!!
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You may also find that removing the crank and securing it with a bench-mounted vice helps.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}