Clicking sound

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Just started getting a clicking sound from the front wheel when I ride, yet not when I simply spin the wheel. Had a good look and can't see anything obviously amiss, any thoughts?

By the way my 11 mile commute is going really well, been doing it every other day, really enjoying it and now feeling quite fresh at the end of the journey, could definitely do more if necessary.

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The only differences I can think of between riding and spinning the tyre:

1. Road contact - could there be something hard stuck in or on the tyre tread? And the sound is it hitting the road surface.

2. Load on the hub - with your and the bike's weight on the hub, it could be damaged bearings?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    try holding the handlebars and spinning the wheel, if you can feel a lot of vibration then you need to look at the wheel bearings.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    If you haven't already done so worth checking the spokes - pinch them in pairs going round the wheel checking for tension.

You may find an unnoticed broken or loose one, though I'd have expected the wheel to go a bit out of true.

Rufus.
  • Is it definately the front wheel ? Does it stop when riding but not pedaling?

I've had the end of the front gear change cable clipping the crank arm as I pedalled, couldn't work it out for ages ! :oops:
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • have you got mudguards fitted? could something be catching if so.

brake cable folded in and nicking the rim or spoke if its slightly out of true, possibly the brake pad.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It's happening when I'm pedalling or freewheeling. I'm pretty sure it's the front wheel and I can't see anything obviously wrong. I was thinking a bearing (unscientifically).

I can't see anything obstructing the wheel. Will check the spokes carefully tomorrow.

Annoying as I have my heart set on a new bike, but didn't want to buy for a few weeks, I intend to keep this one for pootling around at the weekends and if it gets knicked then I haven't lost too much. Just a bit worried that it may collapse on me when I'm commuting now.

It seems to ride perfectly well, just a clicking sound, I can't feel any difference in performance at all, but I am new to all this so I'm not really a great judge.