Comp FS vs Team FS

chojin
chojin Posts: 67
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys - i'm looking to get one of these two bikes but i'm on a really tight budget. I've just had my HT stolen (Cube Attention) and it looks like my insurance isn't going to pay out! A bit of a kick in the teeth considering I'd only had it 6 weeks before it got pinched.
Either way, i'm using the opportunity to go full suss.

Halfrauds have got an extra 10% off for the next five days, so my credit card might take a bashing, but my question is - as a relative noob to this malarky (I only managed to get a couple of off road trails in), would the Boardman Team FS be worth the extra money over the Comp? Would I really notice the difference?

Basically, if I up to the Team FS model i'll get a RockShox Monarch 3.1 rear shock, RockShox Reba SL forks and Avid Elixir R hydraulic disc brakes, SRAM X9/X7 compared to the Comp which come with a RockShox Recon 335 Air, Ario 2.1, Juicy 3 brakes and X7/X5s.
2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)

Comments

• Why call them "halfrauds" and then talk about buying a bike from them? :roll:

Sorry, I know it's a bit OT, but I just don't see the need for it.

Aaaaanyway, I think the Team is worth the extra over the comp. They are both outstanding bikes at bargain prices though.
  • jpenno
    jpenno Posts: 51
    If you read the small print in the offer the 10% discount does not apply to Boardman bikes!!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The Team has the same frame as the Pro. Its worth the money... and a pocket stuffed with £20s more.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • chojin
    chojin Posts: 67
    @Cat With No Tail - I find Halfords (for anything other than bikes) are a bit of a rip off! Hence the nickname. I didn't coin the phrase, I just hear it used a lot :]

@jpenno - Last time I checked i.e. this afternoon it covered boardman bikes? I even went as far as the checkout on the website where it applied the extra 10% off!

@Bar shaker - I didn't know that, and it's a very good point!

I guess what i'm asking is, as a complete MTB novice, will it make much difference? Or am I better off pocketing the extra cash and upgrading somewhen in the future when I'm better at it. Obviously the biggest limiting factor is rider skill (of which I currently have very little), but I want to give myself the best chance of learning!
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    The Team has the same frame as the Pro. Its worth the money... and a pocket stuffed with £20s more.

I'm not sure it does, the Team uses triple butted (super butted) tubes whereas the pro and comp uses double butted tubing.

The same applies to their hardtails.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I'm not sure it does, the Team uses triple butted (super butted) tubes whereas the pro and comp uses double butted tubing.

The same applies to their hardtails.

I'm suprised at that as the pro is the top model, I think all the frames are largely identical but the pro might be slightly better.

However, at £100 off I think the team is the best compromise between price and components.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I have Juicy 3s on another bike and hate them. I have loved the Elixrs on the Team FS and haven't even felt the need to stick a bigger rotor on (yet!).

Haven't ridden the Comp but I do like all the bits of kit that were upgrades on the Team.

Guessing if you were used to all the parts you might notice a difference in the upgrades but if you're relatively new you might not.

Personally if I could afford it I'd get the Team (again) even just for the fact it doesn't have Juicys!!

Nightmare about the insurance not paying out though.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    How can they be a rip off? The Boardman range are fantastic value for money!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    [
    I'm suprised at that as the pro is the top model, I think all the frames are largely identical but the pro might be slightly better.

Surely my sig must have been a bit of a clue that I may know a bit about these bikes... and may have some idea that I know what I was talking about.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Surely my sig must have been a bit of a clue that I may know a bit about these bikes... and may have some idea that I know what I was talking about.

Wow, you're awesome!!

Shame the boardman website only says that the pro uses super butted and the team and comp are just butted. They should get that changed.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I think it might be worth getting the team for the better shocks... I have a set of Reba's and they're great - better (and probably lighter) than those on the Comp...
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Chojin I am trained in insurance law.
    PM me all the details you have and why they rejected.
    If I have a minute I will see if I can help.
    (I have a LARGE hatred for insurance companies ripping people off).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    chojin, have you got your new bike yet? Is your insurance paying up?

You might find getting a Boardman a problem as I understand Halfords don't have very little or no stock. Probably because the 2011 models are on their way.
    I got a Team FS only about 9 weeks ago and there was only one left in a radius of shops within an hours drive from me (about 7 or 8 shops).

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.